Top 4 Ayurvedic Medicines for Ulcerative colitis Treatment
When inflammation happens in the colon, it is called colitis. This disease is the result of prolonged illness and inflammation which is caused by the fragile membrane that lies on the walls of the large intestine, mostly in the rectum area.
Generally, colitis is divided into 2 types:
- This happens due to protoplasm and/or tubercular infiltrations.
- This type occurs rarely but the specific cause can’t be pinned down and is generally called ‘Ulcerative Colitis.’ Amoebic colitis further develops from this type.
Chronic Ulcerative Colitis is an acute, severe, prolonged inflammation of the colon or large bowel in which ulcers getcreated on the walls of the colon. Currently, no remedy has been found that can control the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis that develop gradually and not out break all of a sudden. If you ignore these initial symptoms like loose motions, abdominal pain, bleeding per rectum, indigestion, etc. it can further manifest into TB or cancer.
Initially corticosteroids were introduced that were thought to prevent and heal Colitis and they revolutionized the medical world. But these had to face the hardships as they had more side effects than the cures. They came with a thump and left with a lump. Then came some other medicines with minimal side effects, but this created dependency and as their availability was poor these also faded away.
The only alternative that was visible was surgery – a complete colectomy (removal of the colon) or proctocolectomy with ileostomy (removal of the anus along with a colon, and creating a separate opening in the abdominal wall). These procedures have a permanent effect on the lifestyle of the patient due to many restrictions imposed upon them, barricading their physical movements.
It is triggered by psychological factors; stress and strain. So when dealing with the patients of Colitis, you need to strengthen them psychologically and then do focus on the cure.
According to classical Ayurvedic literature, colitis has been named as ‘grahani.’ Whereas it’s clinical definition remains exactly the same as chronic colitis. The main diagnostic symptoms of grahani are frequent loose motions along with mucus or bleeding discharge and has a filthy smell.
Grahani is such a syndrome in which the digestive fire or Agni gets vitiated. This happens with the aggravation of Pitta dosha, with some degrees of Vata dosha which also creates imbalance.
When Agni is disturbed, toxic waste material or undigested food begins to accumulate, creating Ama, which is then passed through stools. When Pitta-aggravating foods are consumed in an excessive manner or the current lifestyle can cause damage to the rakta dhatu (blood tissue) and mamsa dhatu (muscle tissue). It further advances to the accumulation of Ama that starts to create deposits from the villi in the intestines, also compromises with the functioning of the intestines. Initially Vata dosha may also get aggravated, which leads to inflammation, the formation of mucus and edema.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis
- The Ayurvedic treatment of colitis begins with rekindling the digestive Agni, thus it reduces the formation of Ama. While Ayurvedic medicines have shown their worth by proving to be extremely effective in regularizing Agni. In fact when it functions optimally even when the medicines are withdrawn, then it is only considered as cured. The Agni should remain stable without any need for external medicines.
- If you need an authentic treatment by Ayurveda, come to Planet Ayurveda and receive Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack. It is an Ayurvedic clinic, which is flourishing by leaps & bounds. Use your wisdom of hindsight and give it a try. It has no side effects and is made from authentic extraction of herbs, plants, or trees. Basically it consists of 4 medicines- Arjuna capsules, Pitta Balance, Kutazghan Vati and Vatsakadi churna. All 4 have their own properties.
1. Arjuna capsules:
- They are made from the bark of Arjuna tree, which is famous for wound healing. It heals the pores created on the intestines by various toxins. It also stops the bleeding, heals the ulcer, controls diarrhea and prevents inflammation. It also regulates the hemoglobin level and gives strength to the whole body.
Dosage: – 2 capsules twice a day with plain water, taken after meals.
2. Pitta Balance:
- Calcium compounds have a vital role to play when controlling the Colitis and this remedy is a mixture of various Ayurvedic calcium compounds that halt the bleeding after a few doses and has a cool effect on the whole body that reduces the inflammation. Natural calcium compounds like pearls and corals are used in this preparation.
- One of the ingredients of Pitta Balance Capsules is Mukta pishti which is made by taking the authentic powder of pearls and this powder gets pestle along with rose water under the moonlight and lets it rest for 30 days at a stretch.
- It becomes so strong that it has the ability to restore the Pitta balance in an amicable way. It is able to wither away the inflammation, therefore the effectiveness of the treatment is inevitable.
Dosage: – 1 capsule, twice a day with plain water, after meals.
3. Vatsakadi Churna:
- This churna (powder) is a quite effective remedy that heals Ulcerative Colitis. Vatsakadi churna actually is a mixture of numerous ulcer healing herbs like Kutaz (Holarrhena antidysenterica), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Dhania (Coriander sativum), Anar (Punica granatum), Choti Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum) and Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans).
- All these herbs begin working after forming harmony with each other to restore the imbalance of many body’s metabolic reactions. It is also able to heal the ulcers and makes it wither away, never to recur.
Dosage: -1 full teaspoon with plain water after meals, twice a day.
How to Take
- Add 1 teaspoon and dip it in 400ml of water and then boil. Keep it on the flames until the water is reduced in quantity to 50ml. Take it off the flames and drink it after straining. Leave the residue and drink this water twice a day. Make a fresh drink each time.
4. Kutazghan Vati:
- Kutaz (Holarrhena antidysenterica) as the name suggests, it is a wonderful herbal tablet that has the power to end diarrhea. The diarrhea can happen due to inflammatory bowel diseases. It also helps to burn Ama or toxins, stops inflammation, halts fermentation that is happening in the intestines and heals the ulcers. This tablet is made from the standardized extract of the bark of this tree and is often used to heal ulcers.
Dosage: 2 tabs twice daily with plain water 30 mins after meal.
All these herbal medicines will make your body feel like a bronco, strong and swift.