January 30, 2018
Ulcerative Colitis Treatment in Ayurveda-Diet & Home Remedies
Ulcerative Colitis: General idea
Ulcerative Colitis is a commonly-occurring inflammatory bowel disease which can result in the formation of ulcers, thereby causing the swelling of the colon (the large intestine). The condition is debilitating, and it can basically incapacitate the affected individuals, making it difficult for them to perform day-to-day routine activities.
In Ulcerative Colitis, the inner layer of the colon gets inflamed due to harmful bacteria. As a result, the intestinal area of the sufferers becomes quite narrow, and they experience a lot of discomfort and difficulty in passing stool.
Ulcerative Colitis can trigger the occurrence of several chronic issues like severe diarrhoea, joints pains, vomiting, inflammation of the colon, soreness of the digestive tract, and digestive problems. The condition can also result in the scarring of bile ducts and pancreas; and, in some cases, it can even lead to potentially life-threatening complications.
The onset of Ulcerative Colitis is mostly quite gradual, and the condition can worsen over a period of time. The symptoms of the condition can undergo a change over time, and can range from mild to severe. The most common indications of the disease include abdominal pain, gastrointestinal problems, fever, blood or pus in stool, urgency to use the bathroom, anaemia, poor appetite, weight loss, and rapid heart rate.
Diet & Home Remedies for Ulcerative colitis
Dietary recommendations for patients of Ulcerative Colitis
- The patients of Ulcerative Colitis are advised to consume some specific foods to remain nourished and healthy; and, at the same time, avoid certain foods which can make their condition worse. Specifically, some of the dietary recommendations for Ulcerative Colitis patients have been listed below:
Eliminate foods which can worsen inflammation
- Ulcerative Colitis patients should not eat foods which can increase inflammatory symptoms and cause further discomfort to them. The foods which should be eliminated from their diet include white bread and other refined carbohydrates, packaged foods, processed foods, trans fats, and sugar. In addition, spicy and junk foods should also be avoided.
Increase the intake of Phytochemicals
- The symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis can be significantly reduced by consuming a diet which has abundance of ‘phytochemicals’ (chemicals which are found in plants). A phytochemicals-rich diet ideally includes apples, bael, Indian gooseberry (amla), green tea, olive oil etc.
Eat a low-fiber diet
- For relieving the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis, the sufferers of the condition should eat a low-fiber diet and avoid the consumption of buttery and greasy foods, fruits with seeds, citrus fruits, ginger and garlic. Moreover, since most of the Ulcerative Colitis patients suffer from ‘lactose intolerance’, the consumption of milk and other dairy products should also be avoided.
Overall, the diet which Ulcerative Colitis patients need to follow should include vegetables like pumpkin, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, ash gourd, and round guard. Furthermore, a balanced diet for these patients should also contain proteins, complex carbohydrates, essential minerals, fats, vitamins and other nutrients in adequate quantity. The sufferers of this condition should eat several small meals a day, and also drink plenty of water in order to remain hydrated, especially during a bout of diarrhoea. Since the condition can lead to deficiency of calcium or Vitamin D (and bone loss), the sufferers should take a natural calcium and Vitamin D supplement.
Home Remedies for Patients of Ulcerative Colitis
- Ulcerative Colitis symptoms can also be effectively relieved with the help of some simple and time-tested home remedies. A few common home remedies which can be very beneficial for Ulcerative Colitis patients are:
- Herbal tea is an excellent home remedy for managing abdominal pain, acidity, bloating and some of the other symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis. For best results, the sufferers of this condition should consume a cup of herbal tea once or twice a day. The tea should be prepared using cumin, fennel, cumin, and thyme.
- The intake of apples is also a useful home remedy for Ulcerative Colitis. The disease can drain out a lot of blood from the body of the patients and can, thus, result in loss of iron. For replenishing the lost iron, the consumption of apples can be very beneficial because apples are a rich source of iron. Eating apples after meals can prevent Ulcerative Colitis symptoms like bloating. Boiled apples can also be used for desired results in managing the disease.
- Eat two bananas daily or add chopped bananas slices to a cup of yogurt. This will help in boosting nutrition and treats diarrhoea.
- Another beneficial home remedy for Ulcerative Colitis is the consumption of pomegranate juice. This juice can provide relief from pain, bleeding and other symptoms. The patients suffering from Ulcerative Colitis are advised to drink at least 50ml of pomegranate juice two times a day.
- It is another wonderful home remedy for the same. Soak a piece of it in a glass of water for few hours and mix well to drink later.
Rose petals juice
- Another amazing home remedy for ulcerative colitis is here. 2 tbsp daily, twice can also help in an effective way to deal with bleeding and burning feeling.
Certain useful herbs also have proven properties to relieve most of the painful and inflammatory symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis. The herbs which are particularly beneficial for the patients suffering from this disease include: Kutaja (Halorrhena antidysentrica), Musta (Cyprus rotundus), Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Daruharidra (Berberis aristata), and Patha (Cissampelos pareira).
- The dietary recommendations and home remedies discussed above briefly mean that the patients of Ulcerative Colitis should eat foods which can reduce the symptoms of flare-ups, and avoid the consumption of unhygienic food items.