October 4, 2016
Ulcerative Colitis Treatment & Management-Approach Considerations
Nowadays people suffer from number of health issues due to change in diet and lifestyle. Due to increased stress, unhealthy diet, increased consumption of fast and packaged food which causes problem in digestive system and impaired digestion. Ulcerative colitis is one of the most common problem in the society. It affects any age group but age between 15 -30 and 50-70 years are at higher risk. It is the disease of large intestine and rectum. There are various herbs present in nature that help to treat the ulcerative colitis such as kutaja, arjuna, bilva, coriander, aloe vera, giloy etc.
What is ulcerative colitis?
It is disease that affects the digestive tract in which inflammation and ulceration of inner lining of the colon and rectum occurs. It is characterized by number of symptoms like abdominal cramps, Bluish or yellowish undigested stool, Irregular bowel movements, Weight loss, Lack of appetite, burning sensation in chest and throat etc. The main cause of ulcerative colitis is unknown. But the numbers of factors may be involved in case of ulcerative colitis such as genetic factors, autoimmune factors, food allergies, collagen disorders.
As per Ayurveda it is known as pittaj grahani. The main cause of Ulcerative colitis as per Ayurveda is mainly due to the imbalance of pitta dosha with involvement of imbalanced vata dosha in some cases. The main reason of aggravation of Pitta dosha is consumption of pitta aggravating foods which results in the damage to rakta dhatu (blood tissues) and mamsa dhatu (muscle tissues) and Stress, Anxiety, Irregular eating habits, irregular sleeping habits, fear, anger, hatred, jealousy are other feelings which cause imbalance of Vata and Pitta.
These results in the formation of ama (toxins) in the intestine and causes inflammation of colon.
According to modern science ulcerative colitis is considered as auto immune disorder which involves immune reaction of the body to its own gastro-intestinal tract.
Herbal remedies for ulcerative colitis
As per Ayurveda treatment of ulcerative colitis involves balance of all three doshas and eliminating ama (toxins) from body, restore healthy digestion and make bacteria friendly environment in body. After that treatment mainly focus on healing of ulcers through herbs. Herbs used in treatment of ulcerative colitis provide relief from ulcers and heals in a natural way.
There are very good results in treatment of ulcerative colitis after using herbal remedies. As per Ayurveda digestive tract is the very first place to get affected when imbalance of tri doshas (vata, pitta, kapha) occurs in the body. This imbalance may affect the digestive tract, especially the colon i.e. Vata place. There are numerous herbs present in nature that provide relief from ulcerative colitis such as Saunf, .Dhania Arjuna, Kutaja, sonth, amlaki, aloe vera etc.
- Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysentrica) -It is wonderful herb which has power to stop all type of diarrheas which may be due to inflammatory bowel diseases, colitis. It helps to remove toxins from body and reduce inflammation, stops fermentation going on inside the intestines and heals the ulcers. It is used in ayurvedic product called Kutazghan Vati which is used to treat ulcerative colitis.
- Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare) – It is one of most common spice used in Indian kitchen. It is known to be very effective for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. It provides relief from the symptoms like diarrhea, abdominal cramps, rectal bleeding and burning sensation in chest which are associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Dhania (Coriander sativum) –Commonly it is known as the coriander and used in Indian kitchen as a spice. Moreover this herb has the great medicinal importance in Ayurveda. It has various health benefits like appetizer and anti-dyspeptic properties. It is used in the preparation of Ayurvedic formulation known as vatsakadi churna which is used in ulcerative colitis.
- Arjuna(Terminalia arjuna)– Its Sanskrit name is Nadisarija. Arjuna is used in Ayurveda from ling time due to its healing properties. It helps to provides relief in rectal bleeding, ulcers, bloody stools and abdominal pain which are symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis.
Ulcerative Colitis Treatment Management:
Planet Ayurveda offers the different herbal medicines which are packed in the form of “ulcerative colitis care pack” that contains the four herbal products which are free from any side effects. These are listed below:
- ARJUNA CAPSULES
- VATSAKADI CHURNA
- PITTA BALANCE
- KUTAZGHAN VATI
ULCERATIVE COLITIS CARE PACK- It is combo pack that provides complete solution to all types of problems related to digestive tract inflammation. It is combination of herbs which has anti-inflammatory, wound healing, astringent, cooling and anti-allergic properties and provides relief from ulcerative colitis such as arjuna, kutaja, coriander, giloy etc. This pack improves the stool consistency, reduces the blood and mucus in stools and also reduce the urgency to go to toilet. Besides these it also improves energy and hemoglobin level in body.
DIET AND LIFESTYLE TIPS
- Improve eating habits like taking healthy food and take food without watching television, listening to music, or working on the computer. Chew the food properly.
- Avoid tea, coffee, and alcohol.
- Avoid whole peas and beans, broccoli, potato, garlic, jaggery, yam, sweet potato and other indigestible foods; fried, oily and highly salted foods; and fermented and packaged foods.