Water Retention (Fluid Retention) – Ayurvedic treatment
Shvathu’ is Ayurvedic name for Edema. Ayurveda explains that three energies – Vata, Pitta and Kapha are very essential for a healthy body. ‘Shvathu’ (Edema) which according to Ayurveda happens due to disturbed balance of all the three energies Vata, Pitta and Kapha
Fluid Retention or water Retention is swelling that occurs in the body due to the excess fluid accumulation. It is also known by other name called Oedema. The swelling may occur in any part of the body or it may be general, all depends upon the cause. Fluid retention commonly manifested by swelling in feet and lower legs, but swelling may possibly be in arms, hands, face, or other areas of the body also.
Causes of Fluid Retention
- Fluid retention may be result of illness like that of Heart problems such as heart failure etc. or Kidney failure, cirrhosis of the liver or an underactive thyroid.
- Intake of high amount of salt.
- Certain drugs may be the reason which include medication for high blood pressure, corticosteroids and NSAIDS etc.
- Burns where skin holdsthe fluid and swelling happens in response to burn injuries.
- standing for long periods of time
- Body’s reaction to hot weather tends the body to be less effectivein eliminating fluid from tissues in the summer months
- Sometimes dietary deficiencies such as insufficient protein or vitamin B1.
- Inactivity in routine results in accumulation of fluid in the feet and legs.
- In Pregnancy hormones encourage the body to hold onto excess fluid.
- Hormones associated with menstrual cycle.
- Weakened valves in the veins of the legs cause chronic venous insufficiency.
Symptoms of Fluid Retention
Anyone affected by the condition of edema may experience the following symptoms:
- Swelling in the affected parts of the body.
- Puffiness occurs and gives the feeling of a heaviness.
- Skin gives shiny, tight, or stiff appearance.
- Indentation develops on pressing the skin.
- Feeling that clothes, shoes, rings, or watches are too tight.
- This results in unexpected or fast gain in the weight within few days.
- Stiffness in the joints may also occurs.
- Decreased flexibility of the joints in the arms and legs, such as the ankles, wrists, and fingers
- Reduction in the amount of urine.
- Commonly affected parts are Feet, ankles and hands.
- Pain may also be felt in the affected parts.
Natural remedies for water retention1. Punarnava Capsules
Punarnava Capsules are pure herbal product of Planet Ayurveda that are very efficient natural remedy for water retentionor say edema. It can naturally reduce the swelling and inflammation due to any reason.
Punarnava holds diuretic properties andhas ability to strengthen the body making it able to remove fluids outside. It is formulated by the use of pure extract of Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa).
Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa) Punarnava is a potent herb that possesses anti-inflammatory properties. Its roots act as diuretic agent, reduce swelling and accumulated fluid in the body. This is atremendous herbal remedy for fluid retention.
DOSE:– 2 Tablets twice, daily with plain water after meals.
Punarnava mandur is a traditional ayurvedic tablets having beneficial properties to remove toxins from the blood and arenatural diuretic. This herbal product is helpful in relieving the symptoms of ascites, renal failure, liver failure, fluid accumulation, swelling, puffy eyes, and many other problems related with accumulation of fluid in the body tissues.
- Boerhaavia diffusa (Punarnava): The roots of this amazing herb are diuretic, can reduce swelling and accumulated fluid. It is good natural remedy to act against fluid retention.
- Zingiber officinale (Shunti): Shunti is a useful herbin reducing swelling around joints and even good natural agent to reduce the fluid accumulation.
- Piper longum (Pippali): Useful in alleviating inflammations. Itlessensthe complete swelling and fluid accumulation.
- Piper nigrum (Maricha): This herb is carminative in nature. Effective in easingthe pain. Efficient herb natural diureticthat benefits indecreasing swelling and inflammation.
- Emblica officinalis (Amalaki): Herb which is natural to cause diuresis.
- Terminalia chebula (Haritaki): Herb with property to act as natural diuretic.
- Piper chaba (Chavya):It also act as natural diuretic that can reduce swelling and inflammation in the body.
- Curcuma longa (Haridra): Haridra is potent herb to help in reduction of swelling, pedal edema and even useful to get rid of excessive fluid accumulation.
- Embelia ribes (Vidanga): Good Natural diuretic
- Plumbago zeylanica (Chitrak Mool): Herb that has features to reduceswelling, inflammation, and lower the fluid accumulation.
- Ferric oxide calx (Mandoor Bhasma): This ingredientcan remove toxins from the blood as well can reduce edema, swelling around joint, fluid accumulation in the feet, heart and other parts of the body.
Water Ex Tablets are proficient herbal formulation of Planet Ayurvedathat are potent to sustain the water balance of the body. These are purely natural tablets that work as natural remedy for fluid Retention by providing reliefto a person from the problem of water retention.
This Herbal product isformed making use of standardized extracts of three most remarkable herbs that altogether has made it a perfect ayurvedic treatment of water retention.
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa): Punarnava herb is cool in nature and is a natural diuretic checking fluid retention in the body. It can reduce swelling in several parts of the body in edema and can evenmanage the symptoms of swollen joints due to fluid retention.
- Varuna (Crataeva nurvala): Useful herb that help to remove excess of fluids in the body and thus providing relief from the swelling in water retention.
- Gokshura (Tribulus terristeris): Gokshura is also a natural diuretic that can remove additional fluid from the body. Effectively reduce swelling occuring due to fluid accumulation.
Amalgamation of these herbs have formed this product an excellent natural remedy for water retention in a healthy and natural way.
DOSE: 2 Tablets twice daily with water after meals
Trinapanchmool Ghan Vati is a natural product that can manage the water retention in the body. This herbal preparation deals with edema like swelling in legs, hands, arms, ankle and feet. It is blended with following useful herbs
- Kush (Desmostachya bipinnata)
- Darbh (Imperata cylindrica)
- Kaas (Saccharum spontaneum)
- Saar (Saccharum munja)
- Ikshu (Saccharum officinarum)
Dosage – 2 tablets twice or thrice daily after half an hour of meal with plain water.