What are the health benefits of Chanca Piedra?-Phyllanthus Niruri
Chanca Piedra or Phyllanthus Niruri is also known as ‘Stonebreaker’ or ‘Seed under leaf’ is a tropical plant or herb found in Amazon rain forests and along the coasts. It spreads like common weeds. It is a naturally occurring herb and was first called Quebra Pedra in Brazil where the people made its tea or added it to the juices. It is considered as a biologically active plant which has excellent antioxidant and antibacterial activity.
The whole plant is used to make medicines. Chanca Piedra has numerous health benefits as it is rich in different types of chemicals which helps in relieving fever and spasms. The herb also acts as a powerful pain killer/ pain reliever. It is considered as an anti-inflammatory and a pain blocker similar to morphine but without side effects.
Modern sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits have led to various diseases like diabetes, obesity and high blood pressure. These ailments strain the liver and kidney further leading to deficiency of minerals like magnesium from the body. Chanca Piedra helps in tackling all these problems naturally.
What are the Health Benefits of Chanca Piedra?-(Phyllanthus Niruri)
- The herb Chanca Piedra has been used by people of Amazon since ages, to treat and remove gallstones and kidney stones. That is why it is given the name ‘Stone Breaker/Stone Crusher’ because of its lithotriptic(stone breaking and expelling) properties.
Useful in Kidney Stones
- It reduces the levels of urinary calcium that leads to stone formation in the kidneys or bladder. The herb when consumed in the form of medicine helps to soften (gelatinize) the kidney and gallstones allowing them to change shape so that it can come out of the ureter smoothly and painlessly.
- These stones can be extremely painful for the patient. Just by increasing the intake of water and consuming Chanca Piedra on regular basis, the patient can find relief in it. The herb relaxes the ureter for easier and less painful passing of stones. The alkaloid present in the leaves and stem of Chanca Piedra herb has antispasmodic property.Thus, the herb serves as a relaxing agent for smooth muscles and also helps in expelling stones out of the system.
Useful in Urinary Tract infections
- It is mainly used to treat Urinary Tract infections that causes pain and swellings inflammation, and discharge from urethra or vagina. The herb helps to increase the volume of urine and acts as a deterrent against different types of viruses and bacteria. The herb is known for its diuretic qualities and is very effective in relieving edema and urine retention.
Useful in Digestive Disorders
- The plant is used for treating digestive tract disorders including gas or bloating, loss of appetite, stomach pain, intestinal infections, constipation, and dysentery. It works as a mild laxative.
How to Take
- Consuming a cup of Chanca Piedra daily helps in stimulating the appetite and get rid of infections in the digestive tract. Good digestion improves nutrient absorption in the intestines and also leads to efficient excretion of wastes. It also helps to expel worms (anti-parasitic) out of a body. The herb in a way boosts the overall immunity of the body.
Useful in Liver Disorders
- The herb is known to be used as a liver tonic to manage liver problems like jaundice. The herb has strong hepatoprotective properties. Consuming the herb helps to stimulate bile production in the liver, which in turn, speeds up the elimination of all harmful substances in the body. Thus, it aids the liver in its proper functioning and eliminating toxins out of the body.
- The herb has the ability to protect the liver due to the presence of phyllanthin and hypophyllanthin in it. It helps to treat fatty liver. The herb is widely used in preparing medicines for treating the deadly disease called Hepatitis B especially for children. It is the most effective, natural, non-toxic remedy for HBV (Hepatitis B Virus).
Useful for Diabetic Patients
- Chanca Piedra is very useful for diabetic patients as it helps in reducing insulin resistance and also reduces the risk of heart diseases. It plays an important role in keeping the blood sugar level under control by inhibiting glucose absorption and enhancing glucose storage. The herb also keeps the blood pressure normal. Chanca Piedra is a natural choice for people who do not want to take pills for hypertension.
Useful in Respiratory Problems
- Chanca Piedra is a natural treatment for cough, sore throat and treats breathing problems caused by diseases like tuberculosis, bronchitis, and asthma. The Chanca Piedra tea is a very effective remedy for a persistent cough as it fights against the viruses and bacteria causing cough. It is also recommended to treat swollen tonsils, colic, flu, swine flu, malaria etc. It helps in reducing fever effectively. It is also being used for other conditions like treating tremors, itching, typhoid, dizziness.
Useful in Joint Pain
- Chanca Piedra is very useful in treating joint soreness. It is also known to stop abnormal gene mutations and could possibly be used to prevent cancer from spreading.
Useful in Weight loss
Chanca Piedra is an excellent herb for weight loss. The stone-breaker herb also has the capabilities of lowering cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is one of the major reasons for getting gallstones.
To prepare Chanca Piedra tea, one needs to boil 2 heaped spoons of the herb or 5 g of dried herb in 500 ml water for 10 minutes. The tea can be taken 2 to 3 times a day (125 ml at a time) to cleanse kidneys and liver.
How Chanca Piedra Works?
- The herb is available as a dried herb in stores. Tea can be prepared from it. The herb is also available in tincture form, as water extracts and encapsulated at some outlets. The best one is 50% methanol extract of Chanca Piedra due to its high potency.Chanca Piedra is a powerhouse herb that could improve the health and quality of life naturally. It should be included in the diet regardless of any ailments. It has curative and preventive abilities and is very beneficial in maintaining normal liver, digestive, and kidney function
- The herb should not be used if one is planning to undergo surgery as it might slow blood clotting and increase the risk of bleeding. It might also interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should also avoid consuming Chanca Piedra in large quantities.