What are the Health Benefits of Dates?
Dates, no I am not asking you to go on a date with me, but we are talking about the ones, which is consumed as a dry fruit, have lots of nutrients, fiber and anti-oxidants properties, making them very popular all over the world. Dates have proven their worth in treating many ailments, when consumed in advance it enhances the immune system, are anti-inflammatory and are anti-tumor.
Dates have a unique sweet taste, which comes from the family of date palm trees, scientifically known as Phoenix dactylifera
This tree is found all over the world, but mostly it is cultivated in the tropical regions. You can also consume it as a dessert, date molasses which is made from the syrup created by dates. Scientists recommend eating 25 to 38 grams of dates daily to enhance your fiber intake.
This fruit is gaining popularity due to its ability to correct all hassles of digestive system. It is also popular for enhancing your eye sight and is sought after to treat ailments like night blindness. It has immense healthy benefits like it enhances the muscle development, makes your mind bright & sharp, so it works wonderfully for your both physical and mental health.
Just with your naked eyes you can tell whether the dates are fresh or dried. Their wrinkled skin means these are dried, whereas their mellow skin indicates that they are fresh. In various varieties, fresh dates have a small size and has different color that ranges from shiny red to shiny yellow.
Amazing Health Benefits of Dates
Great Source of Energy:
- Dates contain many natural sugars like fructose, glucose and sucrose. The presence of natural sugar enhances the energy level manifold. Most people around the world consume them as an afternoon snack, if they are feeling lethargic or are acting sluggishly. To gain instant energy and become enthusiastic, dates are eaten.
- When you hit the gym or do any intense physical activity at home, after which you feel exhausted, eat dates, which contain energy providing nutrients that can help you recover at more pace than the normal.
- Muslims hold a special value for them, when they observe fasting for so many days at a stretch, during Ramzan, when they finish the fast, they do it with eating dates with water. They do so that they don’t like eating any other food, which can be overeaten. The body pacifies the need for hunger with dates nutritious value.
- When dates are dried, their nutritious value increases, their calorie count is similar to that of figs and raisins. Most of these calories come from carbohydrates in addition to some from proteins. Despite the calories it contains, it also has vital vitamins, minerals and a fair amount of fiber.
May Boost Brain Health:
- A study was conducted and it revealed that dates protect the brain from oxidative stress and inflammation. It also suggested that dates have abundance of total phenolics and natural anti-oxidants, like ferulic acid, anthocyanins, protocatechuic acid, and caffeic acid. All these prevent the body from dementia and high levels of IL-6 are associated with a higher risk of neuro-degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
- Consuming dates help in reducing inflammatory markers like interleukin 6 (IL-6), in the brain.
- Consuming dates reduces the activity of amyloid beta proteins, which creates plaque in the brain.
Treat sexual malfunctions:
- A research was done in 2006, revealing that dates pollen and its oil have huge amounts of estradiol and flavonoid components, which increase the quantity and quality of the sperms.
- According to an Indian study, dates eradicate male infertility in the ancient times.
- If you need a safe and effective way to enhance your libido and indulge in sexual functions, why don’t you eat organic dates, which have the aphrodisiac properties.
How to Use
- Dip a handful of dates in fresh goat’s milk for the whole night. Put this mixture in a grinder, with a mixture of cardamom powder and a teaspoon of honey. Mix them vigorously and then drink the mixture. But it will be better if you pay a visit to your trusted Ayurvedic doctor.
Helpful for Pregnant Women
- Dates have the potential to promote and ease late-term labor in pregnant females: During the last weeks of pregnancy, consuming dates may enhance cervical dilation and will reduce the requirement of induced labor. Dates certainly lessen the labor time. If the female is going to conceive within 4 weeks, she should start eating at least 6 dates per day. This process will certainly help in going to have the baby in a natural condition.
- A research was done on females, it was found that pregnant females who ate dates amounting to 70 to 76 grams daily, 91% of them felt the labor pains just 4 hours before the delivery.
- Dates play such a significant role due to the fact that it contains oxytocin receptors and appears to copy all the effects of oxytocin in our body.
- Oxytocin is a hormone that creates contractions during the childbirth. It also has tannins, which is a compound that facilitates contractions.
- During pregnancy the females body needs to maintain the energy level by controlling the sugar level, dates have natural sugar, which never raises its level above the normal.
Cancer Fighting Properties
- Dates have cancer fighting properties: Eating dates help in enhancing the bowel health, and reducing the pace of developing and spreading of colo-rectal cancer cells.
- Dried dates have anti-tumor activities, the exact mechanism is still a mystery and need more research.
Enhances Bone Health:
- Dates contain an ingredient called boron, which promotes healthier bones. It has sufficient amount of minerals like phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and potassium, which makes it a super food that takes care of the health of bones. It helps in combating many diseases like osteoporosis.
- Organic dates have selenium, copper, manganese and magnesium, all these help in the managing strong health of bones, especially during the old age.
Thus dates have numerous properties, which certainly make them a super food, which has been bestowed by nature to humans