Diet and herbal remedies for ulcerative colitis
Introduction on Ulcerative Colitis
It is an inflammatory, refractory disease which includes colon, rectum and little part of small intestine. The person who is suffering from Ulcerative colitis in tests shows ulcers inside the colon. Ulcerative colitis comes under the category of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). The second type or category of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) is Crohn’s disease. As colitis is a chronic disease it can be sometimes cause serious problems. Diarrhea in the ulcerative colitis can be caused due to bacterial or parasitic infections.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis
Commonly the patients who are suffering from ulcerative colitis having ulcers in their inner lining of the colon shows common symptoms like:-
- Abdominal Pain
- Stool in blood
- Pain in rectal area
- Loss in weight
- Increase in bowel sounds
- Poor health (Malnutrition)
Symptoms are different according to the location of ulceration:-
- When inflammation occurs in rectal along with sigmoid region then patients have symptoms of urgency, bleeding in rectal area and painful feeling during defecation.
- When inflammation occurs in rectum with left part of colon then symptoms which includes are pain in left part of abdomen, cramps in abdomen, loss in weight, watery stool mixed with blood.
- When inflammation covers whole colon that includes symptoms are fatigue, night sweats, fever, pain in abdomen and abdominal cramps
Ulcerative Colitis is most common and serious disease. So, it can be classified into Mild, Moderate and Severe forms
Mild: A person is having mild colitis symptoms have less than four stools per day, with or without blood, without any systemic disturbances and a no change in values in erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).
Moderate: Those having moderate symptoms have more than four stools per day with few systemic disturbances.
Severe: The patient who suffers from severe symptoms which includes more than six stools mixed with blood per day, with more systemic disturbances such as fever, tachycardia and anemia and with greater changes in values of erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).
Diet is very much important factor in patients suffering from Ulcerative Colitis because a healthier diet rich in all vitamins, minerals, all carbohydrates, proteins and fats prevents in remission of ulcerative colitis. This should include a variety of foods:
Low-fat dairy products
The dairy products can be consumed in moderate amounts unless it does not cause any trouble in their abdomen. A low quantity of milk does not affect stomach. If milk causes any trouble in gastrointestinal tract , such as bloating, gas or a stomach upset, then start drinking lactose-free or soy milk.
Bread, cereal, and whole grains
Fruits and vegetables
A diet which includes different variety of fresh fruits is beneficial for patients who are suffering from ulcerative colitis. So, those fresh fruits which provide less fiber but greater amount of vitamins, water and nutrients are helpful to prevent abdominal cramps, abdominal pain and disturbed bowel movements.
Fresh fruits that are easily digested to ulcerative colitis patients are avocados, bananas, cooked apples, peaches, seedless grapes and soft melons.
- Healthy fats such as vegetable oils
- Lean meat, fish, and poultry
- Vegetables without seeds
- Cereals made up with refined white flour
- Soft Bland Foods These kinds of foods are beneficial in some of the gastrointestinal problems which are associated with ulcerative colitis. Soft bland foods that a can be use in this condition are oatmeal, puffed rice, hominy grits, cream of wheat, gelatin, boiled eggs, mashed potatoes, brown rice, and cooked vegetables such as asparagus, carrots, mushrooms and spinach.
To prevent food triggers these gives better control of the disease and allow active life.
- There are foods which is to be avoided that are caffeine, carbonated beverages, dairy products, if lactose intolerant, dried beans, peas, and legumes, dried fruits, berries, fruits with pulp or seeds, foods containing sulfur or sulfate, foods high in fiber, including whole-grain products, hot sauce, pepper, meats, nuts, crunchy nut butters, popcorn, products containing sorbitol (sugar-free gum and candies), raw vegetables, refined sugar, seeds, spicy foods, sauces.
- Spicy foods should be avoided for patients who are suffering from ulcerative colitis because they cause inflammation in the intestines and along with stomach related problems.
- Some dried fruits should not be taken by colitis patients in this condition berries, figs, plums, rhubarb, coconut and crab apples because they are rich in fiber, which can irritates the intestines and results in diarrhea
A person who is suffering from ulcerative colitis losing weight then a person should start eating five or six small meals with snacks during the day instead of two or three large meals. In Ulcerative colitis when a person have diarrhea then he is recommended to take a lots of fluids to keep hydrated
There are few herbs which are in purest forms without any mixing of artificial flavors or other additives and are very safe for use and easily digestible.
- Turmeric It is beneficial by reducing the inflammation in patients having ulcerative colitis. It can also be used in correcting the other symptoms related to ulcerative colitis. Mixing of aloe Vera gel and turmeric gives better results in improvement in ulcerative colitis.
- Banana This fruit is helps in relieving symptoms of ulcerative colitis like abdominal cramps, diarrhea and also irritation due to inflammation in colon can be reduced by eating a banana daily.
- Coconut Water It is very beneficial in relieving the symptoms like stomach upset, gas or flatulence in ulcerative colitis. Drink a mixture of coconut water with honey shows better results.
- Olive Oil It has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant property due to which useful in various stages of ulcerative colitis.
- Wheat grass It is very effective in stomach upset, bloating, diarrhea and other related problems in ulcerative colitis.
- Psyllium Thereseeds are helpful in relieving of diarrhea like symptoms in ulcerative colitis. Drinking of water mixed with seeds are useful in this condition.
- Calendula Take boiled calendula flowers mixed with water gives good results in ulcerative colitis.
- Fenugreek Take boiled fenugreek seeds mixed with warm water is beneficial.
- Ginger A tea mixed with lemon and ginger is very effective in reducing inflammation in ulcerative colitis.
- Chamomile Take chamomile flowers mixed with warm water is helpful.
- Pomegranate juice –Drink one to two glasses of juice daily. It is helpful in blood clotting and provides necessary food supplements which are required in our diet.
Herbal remedies or medicines are basically natural products which are consisting of different herbs which are sold in market and are available in the form of capsules, extracts, powders, fresh and dried plants. The use of these herbal medicines helps in improving the health of a person.