How to Treat Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in Ayurveda ?
COPD is a term used for a group of lung conditions that results in breathing difficulties. It includes emphysema, chronic bronchitis and bronchiectasis. It is characterized by obstructed airflow from the lungs resulting in breathlessness. COPD has become one of the leading cause of deaths worldwide.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of COPD?
Coughing and shortness of breath may be easily thought as a normal part of the aging process or some common flu but it can be signs and symptoms of COPD. This why it is important to talk about it to your doctor.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Frequent coughing.
- Tightness in the chest
- Frequent respiratory tract infections.
- Cyanosis, i.e. bluish discoloration of lips and nail beds.
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite.
What are the Types of COPD?
In this condition, tiny air sacs, i.e. alveoli of the lungs are damaged due to inflammation and scarring. Lungs lose their elasticity resulting in air trapping.
2. Chronic bronchitis
There is inflammation of airways for a considerable time causing scarring and thickening of lungs. It results in increased formation of mucus which fills the airways causing difficulty in breathing.
In this conditions dilatation of airways occurs due to recurrent respiratory infections. Recurrent infections cause inflammation and increased mucus production.
What are the Causes of COPD?
It is mostly caused due to inhaling pollutants or tobacco smoking.
- Cigarette smoking.
- Exposure to chemicals due to the occupation.
- Air pollution either indoor or outdoor.
- In rare cases genetic disorder known as alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency (AAT-deficiency). In this type of case, a person who has never been exposed to smoke or other pollutants can suffer from COPD.
How to Diagnose COPD?
- Complete history and physical examination of the patient is a must.
- Pulmonary function tests, specifically spirometry test. Spirometry is a non-invasive test which is used to diagnose COPD.
- Blood tests including CBC, Hb level.
- Chest X-ray.
- Screening of AAT deficiency.
Why it is Important to get Tested for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease?
If symptoms of COPD are left untreated, undertreated or misdiagnosed can result in worsening the disease and condition of the patient.
How can COPD be Treated?
In the conventional system of medicine there is no proper treatment of COPD. Treatment includes medications, oxygen therapy, pulmonary rehabilitation, pneumonia vaccine and lung surgery or airways clearance techniques. However, all these methods of treatment have many side-effects.
What is the Ayurvedic concept of COPD?
According to Ayurveda COPD is caused due to vitiated Prana Vayu. Kapha dosha obstructs the normal movement of vayu. It changes the normal direction of flow of air. As air is not able to perform its normal functions hence resulting breathing problems.
How can Ayurveda help in Treating COPD?
Ayurveda can help in two ways, i.e. management and cure of the disease.
- Management of the disease and maintain health which in Ayurveda is called Swasthasya swasthya rakshanam. It is done in the following ways
- Keep home clean and dust free. Remove molds and mildew from sinks and bathroom.
- Avoid going to crowdy places when flu season is at peak.
- Wash hands often and avoids exposure to cold air.
- Go for morning walk daily.
- Do not suppress natural urges like urination, defecation, flatus, sneezing, vomiting, sneezing, eructation’s, thirst, hunger, tears, and sleep.
- Take nutritious food and in moderate amount. Do not overeat or under eat.
Cure of the Disease
Which is called Aturasya vicar prashamanamcha in Ayurveda. In this it is suggested:
- Ayurvedic medicines are completely natural and herbal which treats the disease naturally without causing any side-effects.
- Avoid triggering factors like heavy exercise, smoking and pets.
- Quit smoking
- Maintain personal hygiene.
Ayurvedic Treatment of COPD
Planet Ayurveda offers COPD care pack for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease without causing any side-effects.
1. Vasaka Capsules
These capsules are very effective in treating COPD. Vasaka capsules are prepared from an extract of Adhatoda vasica (vasaka). As these capsules have mucolytic and expectorant action which helps to liquefy the mucus in airways and aids elimination of the mucus from the body. This helps to clear the airways and proper breathing. It relieves shortness of breath, wheezing, and tightness of chest.
Dosage :- Take two capsules twice a day after meals.
2. Praanrakshak Churna
This churna helps to manage and treat symptoms of COPD. It is an herbal blend of following herbs
- Shirish (Albezzia lebbock)
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
- Anantmool (Tylphora asthmatica)
- Twak (Cinnamomum Zeylanica)
- Bharangi (Clerodandrum serratum)
- Kantkari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
It treats COPD and manages any complication associated with it. Antioxidant action of this churna helps in healing lung tissues and improves oxygen exchange in the blood.
Dosage :- Take one teaspoonful of this churna two times a day and boil in 400 ml water until this solution remains 50-60 ml. Strain and drink it.
3. Curcumin Capsules
These capsules are very effective in treating chronic pulmonary obstructive disease and its associated complaints. It is made from Haridra herb (Curcuma longa). In Ayurveda, it is a very famous herb used for treating respiratory complaints. Antioxidant properties of these capsules help in eliminating free radical and toxins from the body and increases the immunity of the body. It relieves symptoms like wheezing, cough, and tightness of chest. Curcumin capsules also purify the blood.
Dosage :-Take two capsules twice a day after meals.
4. Tulsi Capsules
It is prepared from Ocimum tenuiflorum (tulsi) which have many health benefits. Breathing is eased due to its calming and soothing effects. Improves lung functions due to its anti-oxidant properties.
Dosage :- Take one capsule two times a day after meals.
5. Kaashar Churna
It is made from combinations of various herbs listed below
- Mishri (Crystallized sugar lumps)
- Vanshlochan (Bambusa arudinacea)
- Pippali (Piper Longum)
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanica)
Kaas har churna is rich in anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It boosts up immunity and fight helps the body to fight against various infections and diseases. Herbs from which this churna is made helps to maintain healthy functioning of lungs.
Dosage :- Take one teaspoon of this churna two times a day after meals.