How to Treat Neurodermatitis in Ayurveda ?
Neurodermatitis is defined as inflammation of the skin which results in red, patchy, swollen and cracked skin. On scratching it become irritated and itchier. The skin becomes tough, hard and thick. It is also known as lichen simplex chronicus. It is a lifelong condition. Treatment success depends on resisting the urge to rub or scratch the affected areas. It occurs at any age. It starts in the early period of childhood with changing severity over the years.
- Legs or anal region
Forms of Neurodermatitis
- Localized Neurodermatitis (Happens on the Face, Neck, Elbows or Knees)
- Disseminated Neurodermatitis Which is also known as Atopic Eczema.
Causes of Neurodermatitis
- Cause is unknown
- Genetically reasons
- Immune system dysfunction
- Environmental exposures such as allergens
- Tight clothing or bug bite
- Difficulties with the permeability of the skin
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Hard water
- A disease like eczema or psoriasis
Symptoms of Neurodermatitis
- Itchy skin patch or numerous patches
- The leathery or scaly texture on affected areas
- A raised rough patch or patches that are red or darker in color
- Hay fever
- Lesions to form in the bends of arms or legs, face, and neck
A wound can be formed on Persistent scratching, skin infection due to bacteria, or permanent scars and changes in skin color. The itch of neurodermatitis can affect your quality of life, sleep, sexual function.
Certain factors may affect your risk of neurodermatitis, it includes
- Age and sex. Women are more affected to develop neurodermatitis as compare to men. The condition is most common between ages 30 and 50 in men and women.
- Many other skin conditions. People who have a personal or family history of dermatitis develops this disease. Diseases like eczema, psoriasis or similar skin conditions may be a cause of neurodermatitis.
- Anxiety disorders. The itch of neurodermatitis is triggered by Anxiety and stress.
Ayurveda : Vicharchika
सकण्डु:पिडकाश्यावाबहुस्त्रावापवचपचिका | According to Charka Samhita
According to Ayurveda, it is known as vicharchika and it is caused due to an improper lifestyle. It is caused due to the aggravation of pitta doshas in the body which in turn vitiates other dhatus and doshas in the body like rakhta, mansa and twacha. All these collectively leads to the formation of Ama which further goes deep inside the skin and tissues and leads to neurodermatitis.
In Ayurveda, skin disorders are explained under Kustharogadhikara. All types of Kustha have been categorized under ‘Rakta Pradoshaja ’ Vikara. Kustha Vyadhi is said to be caused by the vitiation of all the Tridoshas i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha involving Tweak, Raktha, Mamsa and Ambu, collectively termed as Kusthanam Saptako Dravya Sangrahaha.
Kustha is further classified into Mahakushta and Kshudra Kustha.
In Ayurveda Shodhana and Shamana Chikitsa, in the form of Bahya and Abhyantara Prayogas have been explained under Kusthroga Chikitsa, for the management of skin disorders
It is an oleation therapy that makes the skin smooth. Snehana works on doshas and loosens blocked channels. There are two types of Snehan
- Balya : Ghee, oil, vasa, majja (marrow) oil is applied to the body
- Abhyantara : Oils are consumed by the patient internally
Swedana helps to remove srotovarodha (obstruction of channels) that are loosen by Snehan. Sweating is induced to get rid of excess toxins from the blood. Done by exercise, with aid of fire.
This is a process that pacifies the aggravated doshas by natural herbs and appropriate diet. Panchkarma is blood purification process that involves five procedures namely vaman, virechan, basti, nasya and rakhtmokshan.
1. Testing and Allergy Testing
Small quantities of allergens are applied to a small patch of the skin. After two days of application, if the patient develops a raised bump or reaction limits beneath the skin, the test is positive
2. Skin Biopsy.
It is to rule out lichen planus, eczema, psoriasis that mimic neurodermatitis
Treatment : Tips to Remember
- Applying moisturizers may prevent the skin from drying out and it decrease the need for medication
- Bathe regularly with lukewarm water, especially in salt water, to moisten their skin
- Avoid woolen clothing.
- Dilute bleach baths is also effective
- Intake of vitamin D supplements
- Avoid 6 – fatty acids consumption
- Take Gluten – Free diet to prevent the occurrence of new outbreaks
- Exposure to narrowband ultraviolent. The usage of UVA1 is more effective in treating neurodermatitis.
Ayurvedic Treatment BY Planet Ayurveda
1. Neem Capsules
These capsules are made by the pure extracts of Azadirachta Indica or neem. It acts as a blood purifier and immunity modulator. Neem is known to be best anti-allergic herb, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and is very beneficial in all kind of skin problems ranging from skin allergies, rashes, irritation, itching, inflammation and respiratory tract infections. Neem is also known to have anti-inflammatory properties which can help in reducing the inflammation and pain. It has healing and antiseptic properties too, thus the medicines help in healing wounds and sores.
Neem herb stimulates the production of T cells and gives a head-on attack against all kinds of infections. This medicine is useful in problems like acne, eczema, dandruff, psoriasis, hives, herpes, ringworm, shingles, warts etc. This herb contains the constituent’s Azadirachtin, Nimbolides, Nimbidinin and Nimbin.
Dosage : The recommended dosage is 2 capsules two times a day with plain water after 30 mins of meals.
2. Radiant Hair and Nail Formula
These capsules are prepared using a combination of four excellent herbs which include Ghrit Kumari, Manjistha, Chirata, and Pitta Papda. Like its name, the medicine works towards promoting healthy skin, healthy hair and nails. It is very useful in managing problems related to the skin. This serves as a wonderful medicine in treatment of Neurodermatitis.
Dosage : 1-2 capsules two times a day with plain water after 30 mins of meals.
3. Aloe Vitals
These capsules are prepared by using standardized extracts of Aloe Vera herb (Aloe Barbadensis) which is very beneficial in handling the skin ailments of all kinds. This herbal medicine has a good amount of Vitamin C and Vitamin E. The product has positive response in these skin related problems –
- Treating eczema
- Improving the red and dry patches
- Healing the wounds
- Reducing rashes
- Stimulating the development of skin cells
- Keeps the skin hydrated
- Maintaining skin’s natural glow
- Anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antiseptic properties.
Dosage : The recommended dosage of Aloe Vital capsules is 2 capsules two times a day with plain water preferably after 30 mins of meals.
4. Kumkumadi Oil
This herbal oil is made up of herbs like Rakta Chandan, Manjistha, Yashtimadhu, Daruhaldi, Ushira, Padmaka, Vat, Pipal, Nagkesar, and Til. The oil possesses antiseptic, astringent, disinfectant and deodorant properties. It is safe to be used on any part of the body. It keeps the skin glowing, removes acne, scars, and blemishes. It also helps in getting rid of wrinkles. The oil treats uneven skin tones and pigmentation spots. It helps in improving the skin complexion and texture. It provides relief from itching and scratching sensation.
Dosage : It is recommended to apply 3 to 5 ml of Kumkumadi Tailam in a circular manner over the affected areas daily its only for local application.
Along with these medicines intake of vitamin B is also recommended.
Regular use of moisturizers helps in reducing the dryness of the skin which can further help in ease the itch. Cool compresses can be done to reduce the itching. It is advised to wear loose fitting clothes and stay calm. Try not to touch the affected area often. The cold bath helps in eliminating the itch by reducing the heat in the body.