How Herbal Remedies help you to get relief in Ulcerative Colitis
Ulcerative Colitis is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease with a relapsing and remitting course. The prolonged use of allopathic standard drugs often produces mild to severe side effects and also results in drug resistance. Hence, there is a need for safe, effective and complementary treatment options. In Ayurveda, various treatment modalities for digestive disorders such as: chronic inflammatory bowel diseases are described and treated successfully.
In ulcerative colitis, inflammation usually involves the rectum, but may spread to sigmoid colon or whole colon. The symptoms of ulcerative colitis can be co-related with Rakta-atisara (bloody diarrhoea) as the frequent stool and blood in stool are the main culprits in deteriorating the patient’s general health.
What are the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
- Irregular bowel movements
- Bluish or yellowish undigested stool
- Weight loss
- Blood in the stools
- Occasional rectal pain
- Burning sensation in the chest and throat
- Unpleasant body odour
- Lack of appetite
- Dark patches under the eyes.
What are the causes of Ulcerative Colitis in Ayurveda?
- According to Ayurveda, Ulcerative Colitis is primarily a disorder of Pitta dosha with Vata involvement.
- Due to the excessive consumption of Pitta aggravating foods such as frequent consumption of junk food, spicy and fermented foods, Pitta dosh in the body gets aggravated.
- Due to the damage caused in muscle tissue and blood tissue, ama (toxins) get deposited between the villi in the intestines and forms a smooth coating there.
- It impairs the normal functioning of immune system.
- As a result, Vata dosha in the lower colon also gets aggravated and there is a blockage in the Pitta and Kapha channels causing inflammation and mucus inflammation.
- Stress is the also the factor for ulcerative colitis.
How Ulcerative Colitis is treated in modern medicine?
- It is usually treated either by drug therapy or by surgery. Certain anti-inflammatory drugs and immuno-suppressants are prescribed. Immuno-suppressants such as: Cyclosporine has serious side effects and is not recommended for long term use so treating ulcerative colitis still remains a challenge before doctors.
How Ulcerative Colitis is treated in Ayurveda?
- In Ayurveda, the first line of treatment is rakta-stambhana (blood-coagulation) and purisha-sanghrahana (anti-diarrheal).The treatment of rakta-atisara is done by prescribing sweet and cold potency herbs which enhance the immunity, strength and pacify all the doshas.
- Unlike modern medicine, the science of Ayurveda offers treatment of Ulcerative Colitis because herbal remedies work on the root cause of the disease.
- Like modern medicine, Ayurveda is also a science which has many dimensions. It is a hardcore science of treating the disease. The treatment in Ayurveda is based on scientific principles.
- So, Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis is holistic and provide relief to the patients without causing any side effects.
What are the herbal Remedies for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis?
Planet Ayurveda offers Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.
Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack of Planet Ayurveda consists of:
- Vatsakadi Churna
- Pitta Balance
- Kutajgan Vati
- Arjuna’s (Terminalia arjuna) standardized extract is used to make this formulation. This tree bark possesses anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It is rich in minerals such as: calcium, copper, magnesium and zinc. It is considered as a good astringent so Arjuna capsules of Planet Ayurveda are very effective in controlling bleeding in ulcerative colitis patients.
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily.
- Vatsakadi Churna by Planet Ayurveda is a combination of various herbs that are effective in treating Ulcerative Colitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, unexplained dysentery, diarrhoea, flatulence, gas and indigestion. This Churna can be used even in severe forms of diarrhoea. It gives quick results that are similar to the modern medicines but the results are effective, long lasting and there is no side effect.
Ingredients of Vatsakadi Churna
|Sr. No.||Ingredient Name||Common Name||Part used||Quantity(100 gm Pack)|
|1.||Halorrhena anti-dysentrica||Kutaj||Bark||20 gm|
|2.||Aegle marmelos||Bilva||Fruit||15 gm|
|3.||Foeniculum vulgare||Saunf||Seeds||15 gm|
|4.||Coriander sativum||Dhania||Fruits||10 gm|
|5.||Cyprus rotundus||Nagarmotha||Rhizome||10 gm|
|6.||Punica granatum||Anar||Fruit rind||10 gm|
|7.||Elettaria cardomum||Choti Elaichi||Whole||10 gm|
|8.||Myristica fragrans||Jaiphal||Fruits||10 gm|
Dose: 1 teaspoonful with water after meals.
- Pitta Balance is a unique product of Planet Ayurveda which contains various cooling natural calcium compounds. These compounds balance the Pitta dosha naturally and relieve in the bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis.
Ingredients of Pitta Balance Capsules
|Sr. No.||Ingredient Name||Common Name||Quantity|
|1.||Coral Calcium||Praval Pishti||125 mg|
|2.||Agate Calcium||Akik Pishti||125 mg|
|3.||An Ayurvedic Calcium Compound||Jawar Mohra Pishti||125 mg|
|4.||An Ayurvedic Calcium Compound||Kandudha Ras||125 mg|
|5.||Pearl Calcium||Mukta Pishti||50 mg|
|6.||Tinospora cordifolia extract||Giloy extract||125 mg|
Dose: 1 capsule twice daily.
- Kutajghan Vati is a famous Ayurvedic medicine used in the treatment of intestinal disorders. It is prepared from the bark of the tree Halorrhena antidysenterica. It is an effective remedy for amoebic dysentery due to its astringent, anthelmintic, amoebicidal and diuretic and immuno-stimulant property.
Dose: 2 tablets twice daily.
Besides it, there is much importance of suitable diet regimen such as intake of refined flour, spicy and sour food is strictly prohibited as a little mistake in diet regimen can irritate the colon mucosa and can lead to bleeding per rectum.
Mode of action of Herbal Remedies:
- These herbal remedies act as stambhan of excessive excretion of essential bio-humors and pacify vitiated Pitta and enhance the immunity and strength, nourish the body and pacify all the three doshas.
- Ayurvedic treatment of ulcerative colitis and other chronic inflammatory bowel disease relapses can reduce the need of conventional standard drugs. Moreover, Ayurvedic treatment of ulcerative colitis is safe, inexpensive, easy to handle and well tolerated by the patients of all age groups.