All Kinds Dysmenorrhea Treatment with Herbal Remedies
The female reproductive system has the power to give birth to a whole new life. If the presence of a male sperm is important for conceiving, then the presence of the womb and ovum is also important. That is the beauty of nature, which has kept males and females at equivalent levels. But obviously for females there are certain things which are extra. Like their menstrual cycle and the pain many of them go through while being on periods. This article is all about women’s menstrual troubles but the most troublesome is Dysmenorrhea. Now, moving further in the article let’s discuss what dysmenorrhea is and how it can be well managed with Ayurveda.
There is a very dramatic explanation of dysmenorrhea that “It feels like a tag war between the ovaries” or “something is cutting from inside”. That’s what a girl in pain due to periods explains her situation. There is a possibility that she’s laughing and telling you all this but still the pain she suffers from, it’s only her who understands. Now you might be thinking what exactly is dysmenorrhea?
Moving further in this article let’s understand more about dysmenorrhea.
Facts about Dysmenorrhea
- Dysmenorrhea = Painful menses
- Can be present at any age
- Your diet and lifestyle plays a main role
- Has two types: primary & secondary
- Secondary type is associated with underlying disorder
- In Ayurveda, it is correlated with kashtartava
- Kashtartava is symptom of many gynecological conditions as well
- The prakopa of vata is responsible for kashta artava
- The chikitsa is done in two ways: Shaman and Shodhan
Starting with, what is Dysmenorrhea?
Dysmenorrhea is a medical term which is used to describe pain while being on periods or simply called menstrual cramps.
Types of Dysmenorrhea
There are two types of Dysmenorrhea
1. Primary Dysmenorrhea
It is a common menstrual cramps that usually comes back to back and is not associated with any disease. This pain is mild before periods and when the periods onset the pain aggravates. The pain is felt in the lower abdomen, back and thighs. This pain can last for 12-72 hours and symptoms like nausea and vomiting are also commonly seen.
2. Secondary Dysmenorrhoea
In case of secondary dysmenorrhea causes of pain are usually associated with problems of the reproductive system. Conditions like endometriosis, adenomyosis, pelvic inflammatory disease and uterine fibroids can cause excessive pain during menses.
Causes of Primary and Secondary Dysmenorrhea
Causes of Primary Dysmenorrhea
- Excessive levels of prostaglandin hormones makes the uterus contract during menstruation and childbirth. The pain is the result of endometrial shedding which results in a contracted uterus and hence decrease in blood flow as well.
- Lack of exercise
- Longer, heavier and irregular menstrual periods.
- Psychological stress
- Smoking and alcohol drinking
- Overweight or obese
Causes of Secondary Dysmenorrhea
- Fibroids: Benign tumours
- Sexually transmitted infections
- PID (Pelvic inflammatory disease)
- Ovarian cyst or tumour
- IUD (Intrauterine device)
Signs and Symptoms
Clinical features of Primary Dysmenorrhea includes
- Onset shortly after menarche; within six months
- Usual duration is 48-72 hours
- Cramping or childbirth like pain
- Persisting lower abdomen pain that radiates to lower back or thigh
Clinical features of Secondary Dysmenorrhea includes
- Usually after twenty years of age
- Heavy menstrual flow and irregular bleeding
- No response to NSAIDS
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Pain during intercourse
Diagnosis of Dysmenorrhea
- Medical history about onset, duration and severity of pain is noted.
- Examination of pelvis
- Ultrasound of lower abdomen
Treatment and management of Dysmenorrhea
- The treatment includes relief from pains and cramping-like symptoms.
- A combination of NSAIDS and oral contraceptives is generally given.
Ayurvedic Viewpoint of Dysmenorrhea
In Ayurveda the dysmenorrhea is correlated with kashat aartav. Kashta aartav is defined as a symptom of many gynaecological conditions instead of being an independent disease.
Nirukti of Kashtartava (Derivation)
Kashtartava can be expressed as कष्टेना मुच्यति इति कष्टार्तव. This means the condition in which the artava (menstrual blood) is shredded with difficulty and also causes pain.
The concept of kashta artav is mentioned in many yonivyapad. It is mentioned as a symptom of many yonivyapad. The kashta aratav is explained in following yonivyapad:
- Vatika yonivyapad: Due to aggravated apana vayu
- Udavarta Yonivyapad: Due to suppression of natural urges (aggravation of vata happens)
- Antamukhi Yonivyapad: Due to aggravated vata dosha
- Suchimukhi Yonivyapad: Congenital disease
- Mahayoni Yonivyapad: Improper positioning during sex resulting in aggravated vata dosha
- Artava Kshaya: It is one of the features of vata vitiation
Samanya Nidan of Kastartava as per Ayurveda
- Mithya ahara (improper diet): Eating food or food articles that exclusively aggravated vata dosha. Food articles which are dry, cold, hard in qualities along with possess pungent, bitter and astringent taste.
- Mithya vihara (Improper activities): Excessive vyayam that is excessive exercising or running along with vegodharana (suppression of urges).
- Pradushta artava
- Bija dosha (genetic factors)
- Daiva (idiopathic)
- Manashika hetu (psychological stress)
Chikitsa Sutra of kasta artva (Principles of treatment)
- Snehana (purification therapy): Bahya snehana (External oleation) and Abhyantara snehana (internal oleation)
- Swedana (Fomentation) with ksheer or milk
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Vamana (emesis)
- Basti (enema): Uttar basti
Shamana Chikitsa or Palliative Treatment includes the following
- Sthanika chikitsa (Localized treatment): Includes kalka, pichu (tampon), yoni prakshalana (washing the genitals), abhyanga (massage)
- Abhyantra chikitsa (Internal therapy): kashayam, arishtam, ghritam, chooran (powder) and vatis (tablets).
- Chamomile tea twice daily
- Ginger infusion
- Decoction of fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and carom seeds during menstruation
- Intake of castor oil with warm milk
- Drink cinnamon infusion while being on periods
- Avoid vata increasing factors especially when your cycle is around like travelling, stress, drinking caffeine etc.
Pathya and Apathya in Dysmenorrhea (Do’s and don’ts)
- Oats, brown rice, millets like little millets, quinoa, barley, ghee
- Fruits like papaya, apples, pears, peaches, pomegranate and guava
- Nuts like almonds, cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds etc.
- Maple syrup, honey and jaggery can be taken as well. Regular exercise and pranayam is also recommended.
- Green leafy vegetables
- Corn flour, dry oats are better to avoid.
- Ice creams, yoghurt, buttermilk etc are to be avoided
- All type of junk and packed food is not to be taken
- Spicy and oily food is to be avoided
- Meat products, especially red meat, are not to be taken
- Stress, cold water shower, suppression of urges are to be avoided
Yoga asana is also very helpful in this case. Following are the asanas:
- Janu shirshasana
- Utthita trikonasana
- Supta virasana
Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda for Dysmenorrhea
Planet Ayurveda is an ISO certified company. It deals with the manufacturing of different Ayurvedic products. The herbal preparations manufactured are in the form of tablets, capsules, syrups, decoctions, jams and others. The products prepared by Planet Ayurveda are totally herbal and do not contain any type of adulterants, fillers, dyes, flavor enhancing agents, binders etc. The herbal preparations manufactured or prepared by Planet Ayurveda are potent and are used in various types of conditions. The formulations offered by Planet Ayurveda for Dysmenorrhea are as follows:
- FEMALE HEALTH SUPPORT
- CHANDRAPRABHA VATI
- GYNE KALP TABLETS
- HAKAM CHURNA
1. FEMALE HEALTH SUPPORT
Female health support is a very brilliant product for maintaining female health, especially reproductive one. The product is very effective in balancing the female hormones and is suggested in many gynecological problems in females. Female health support is having ingredients like ashok (Saraca indica), lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) and shatavari (Asparagus racemosus). This formulation works by supporting the reproductive system of females and enhances its ability to function. The capsules give very great results in dysmenorrhea as it helps in balancing the hormones and thus has a great impact on prostaglandins. In addition this product can be taken at any age and gives fantastic results.
Dosage: One capsule twice daily after meals with lukewarm water
2. CHANDRAPRABHA VATI
Chandraprabha vati is an effective classical preparation which is mentioned in Ayurvedic texts. The tablet has really great and effective results. The ingredients of this formulation are guggul resin (Commiphora mukul), amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haridra (Curcuma longa) and few other efficient herbs. As the name of the formulation suggests, Chandra means moon and prabha means glow, so the literary meaning of chandraprabha is moonlight or moon glow. The formulation has a positive effect on the body due to the presence of twenty three incredible ingredients. Chandraprabha vati is a tridosha balancer and an antispasmodic as well. Due to the presence of guggul it is an impressive kapha pacifier and vata dosha pacifier. As we know in this condition there is involvement of vata dosha mainly and as it pacifies vata dosha it pacifies maximum symptoms related to dysmenorrhea as well.
Dosage: Two tablet twice dailyafter meals with lukewarm water
3. GYNE KALP TABLETS
Gyne kalp tablets are a patent product of Planet Ayurveda which has only three ingredients that are ashok (Saraca indica), lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) and shatavari (Asparagus racemosus). All of these ingredients have fantastic results in balancing female hormones. Gyne kalp is a very impressive composition which is also having a positive effect on the entire female reproductive system. It helps in almost all types of gynecological issues and also helps in the pacification of vata dosha too. The product also has its impact on pitta and kapha dosha as well. Gyne kalp is prepared with 100% pure and herbal ingredients and does not have any side effects.
Dosage: Two tablet twice dailyafter meals with lukewarm water
Ashokarisht is a herbal decoction which is prepared using the process of fermentation. The ashokarisht is having herbs like Ashoka (Saraca indica), Dhataki pushpa (Woodfordia fruticosa), Krishan Jeerak (Carum Carvia), Nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata) and many others. All these ingredients give a very impressive result in eliminating toxins accumulated in the body and also help in the pacification of vata dosha. Ashok in this formulation is known to help in all types of female related problems at all ages. It helps in case of heavy bleeding, in case of scanty bleeding and also in case of bleeding with pain.
Dosage: Two tsp twice dailyafter meals with equal amounts of lukewarm water or can be taken directly.
5. HAKAM CHURNA
Hakam churna is a classical preparation which is very popular to help in various types of digestion related problems but also has other impacts. The formulation has ingredients like chandrashoor (Lepidium sativum), kalonji (Nigella sativa), Methi (Trigonella foenum graceum) and ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi). These four ingredients have a very great impact on elimination of accumulated amma in the body and opens the blocked srotas as well. Due to its hot potency it helps in the pacification of vata dosha in the entire body thus it successfully relieves symptoms of dysmenorrhea. In addition, it is having antispasmodic effects, reduces inflammation, stiffness and works in obesity as well.
Dosage: Half tsp twice dailyafter meals with warm water
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or Call at 0172-521-4040 (India), +91-172-521-4040 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 842-749-4030.
The dysmenorrhea is a very unpleasant condition for a female but she has no choice but to go through this and survive. The condition can be of primary or secondary type but still in both ways the pain is either bad or worse. All above mentioned formulations are totally herbal and do not have any type of side effects. The products by Planet Ayurveda are totally herbal and do not have any side effects. So let’s get rid of dysmenorrhea with the help of effective and pure ayurvedic herbs. In case of any queries you can visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com