Ayurvedic Treatment of Anxiety and Panic attacks
Anxiety and panic attacks are the most common mental problems worldwide. According to the Data given by the National Institute of Mental Health, around 31 % of adults experienced some type of anxiety or panic attacks in their lifetime. Panic attacks and Anxiety problems are now increasing due to today’s fast-paced lifestyle. The person who has suffered anxiety or a panic attack knows how terrifying and horrible an experience it can be. But very few people who experienced anxiety or panic attacks seek formal treatment. But this is a serious issue that should not be avoided and needs to be cured at the right time. Here in this article, we are going to discuss anxiety and panic attacks and their Ayurvedic management.
Anxiety is an emotional disorder characterised by feelings of tension, fear, worried thoughts that also includes physiological changes like raised blood pressure and further it may give rise to depression. Panic attack is a sudden episode of unreasonable intense feelings of fear and anxiety that triggers severe physical reactions and symptoms like palpitations, fast breathing and sweating, racing heart, even when there is no apparent cause or real danger. Panic attacks can be very terrifying as when they occur, you might think you are having a heart attack, losing control or even dying.
Types of Anxiety
- Generalized anxiety disorder – This is a long lasting type of anxiety in which a person worries about non specific objects, life events and situations.
- Panic disorders – These are the sudden and brief panic attacks characterised by shaking, dizziness, confusion, nausea and breathing difficulties which arise because of some frightening experiences.
- Phobia – Phobia arises out of anxiety and is different from other anxiety disorders. In this the fear may be unnecessary but the person is unable to control anxiety.
- Social anxiety disorder – In this type of anxiety a person fears from opening up in front of society or other people because of a fear of being negatively judged by the people.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder – In OCD, a person is obsessed with cleanliness, keeping on checking light switches or the locks.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder – This type of anxiety disorder is due to flashbacks of any trauma, serious accident or a sexual assault due to which a person may often change his behavior to avoid the triggers.
- Separation anxiety disorder – This type of anxiety is due to a feeling of separation from a person or place close to the heart.
Ayurvedic Aspect of Anxiety and Panic attacks
In Ayurveda, Anxiety is an imbalance of Vata dosha. During a panic attack, the Vata dosha impairment results in a sudden extreme stress response and agitated state of mind. Ayurvedic principle of diagnosing and treating a disease based on three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. The balanced state of these doshas signifies a healthy state whereas the imbalance of these doshas leads to a disease. When Vata dosha is disturbed the person feels ungrounded, has trouble sleeping and has a hyper-excitable nervous system. Thus the Anxiety (Chittodvega) is an aggravated Vata dosha disorder and the management is based on balancing the Vata dosha.
Symptoms of Anxiety and Panic Attacks
The symptom of Anxiety or panic attacks are
- Trembling or shaking
- Fear of losing control
- Feeling like you’re going to die
- Intense feeling of terror
- Choking or smothering sensation
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
- Racing heart
- Tingling sensation or numbness on fingers or toes
The causes of Anxiety or panic attacks are
- Genetics and hereditary – Anxiety can run in families
- Hormonal/ biochemical imbalance – Imbalance of hormones like serotonin and dopamine.
- Personality type – Certain people who have poor coping skills or low self esteem are more prone to anxiety
- Social factors – People who are exposed to violence, abuse and poverty are more prone to anxiety and panic attacks
- Medical causes – Cardiopulmonary or Endocrine disorders or any other chronic disease can lead to anxiety
- Drugs and other substances – Some drugs like amphetamine, transquillsers, or steroids etc. can lead to anxiety and panic attacks.
- Trauma: history of a mental trauma in certain condition of life is a major contributing factor in developing anxiety.
- Stress: Worrying or stressful situations in life may trigger anxiety.
- Gender : Females are more prone to anxiety than males.
- Other mental health disorders. Persons who are already suffering from depression may also develop anxiety disorder or panic attacks.
- Having blood relatives with an anxiety disorder. Anxiety disorders may run in families.
- Drugs or alcohol. Alcohol or drug overdose or withdrawal can cause or trigger anxiety and Panic attacks.
Your doctor rules out the diseases having similar symptoms through some tests. If they are normal then he can diagnose it through your history or symptoms. Some tests to rule out anxiety are –
- Hamilton anxiety rating scale
- Anxiety disorder interview schedule
Treatment of Anxiety and Panic attacks
In modern medicine, it is managed with some anti anxiety drugs, antidepressants drugs and with psychotherapy. But there is no permanent cure of this and the long term use of these medications can cause side effects too. In Ayurveda, this is an imbalance of Vata dosha so the line of treatment is to pacify the aggravated dosha. Ayurveda focuses on Nidan Parivarjana (avoid the causing factors) to manage the disease. In anxiety or panic attacks some Panchakarma procedures like Abhyanga, Shiro- abhyanga, Shiro vasti, Shirodhara, nasya with medicated oils are also recommended along with some Ayurvedic herbs like Ashwagandha, Jatamansi, Brahmi, Mandookparni, etc.
Herbal Remedies for Anxiety and Panic attacks by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a worldwide leading herbal manufacturing company, the products of Planet Ayurveda are 100% pure herbal, natural and are made under the guidance of Ayurveda experts. Planet Ayurveda offers Panic Care pack for the effective management of Anxiety and Panic attacks
- NeuroGenie Capsules
- Calm Easy Capsules
- Pitta Balance
- Indian Valeriana
Description of the Products
1. NeuroGenie Capsules
NeuroGenie capsules are the polyherbal formulations by Planet Ayurveda that contain Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), etc and acts as a powerful antioxidant, boosts brain function and prevents anxiety or stress. The ingredients of this capsule helps to combat physical and mental stress, lowering blood pressure, reduces inflammation, and boosts the immune system.
Dosage – 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals
2. Calm Easy Capsules
This is a polyherbal formulation by Planet Ayurveda that contains Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) and Tagar (Valeriana Wallichii). These capsules act as a wonderful nerve tonic and help in managing anxiety. It relaxes the body, reduces the number of thoughts, enhances memory, grasping power, learning capacity, useful in stress, anxiety, phobia, fear and insomnia. This helps in the pacification of Vata and Pitta dosha and thus useful in Anxiety and panic attacks.
Dosage– 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals
3. Pitta Balance
Pitta balance capsules are polyherbal formulations by Planet Ayurveda that contain Praval Pishti (coral compound), Akik Pishti (Agate compound), Jahar Mohra Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Mukta Pishti (Pearl compound), Giloy Satva (Tinospora cordifolia extracts). This herbal formulation helps in managing anxiety and panic attacks as it balances the pitta dosha so the symptoms like aggression, anxiety, anger, palpitations, hyper activity, etc are also controlled by these capsules. Thus this product has magnificent results in Anxiety disorders.
Dosage- 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals
4. Indian Valeriana
Indian Valeriana is a single herbal formulation by Planet Ayurveda that contains standardized extracts of Tagar (Valeriana Wallichii) The root of this wonderful herb is used to make medicine which has magnificent results and is used in the management of sleep disorders, mental stress, controls anxiety, depression,etc.
Dosage- 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals
Thus from the above mentioned details we can conclude that Anxiety and Panic attacks can be managed with Ayurvedic formulations, counselling of patients, some yogas and meditation. Ayurvedic herbs have wonderful results without any side effects. Planet Ayurveda offers a Panic Care pack which has very good results in this condition. Planet Ayurveda products are 100% pure, effective, vegetarian, and natural. We hope the above-mentioned information regarding Anxiety and panic attacks will be beneficial for the one who suffers. For more details of our products, you can check our website www.planetayurveda.com. For more queries, you can send your queries to our email id email@example.com.