December 15, 2018
How to Treat Hidradenitis Suppurativa with Ayurveda ?
Hidradenitis suppurativa is a chronic skin condition characterized by recurrent boil or lump beneath the skin. It causes abscess and scarring on the skin. These usually appear where skin rubs together or near the hair follicles having sweat glands. Groin region, breast, buttocks, and armpits are mainly affected. Women are more prone to this disease. Hidradenitis suppurativa usually starts after puberty and may become worse over time. It can pose serious effects on day to day life and emotional well being.
Is Hidradenitis Suppurativa Contagious?
No, it is not contagious.
What are the sign & symptoms of Hidradenitis suppurativa?
- It can affect one or multiple areas of the body at a time and symptoms may vary from mild to severe.
- Blackheads in small pitted areas of skin.
- Lumps or boils appearing on various areas of the body are very painful.
- A boil may be pea-sized and firm which with time either disappear or rupture and pus ooze out of it for few hours or maybe days. This cycle continues either on the same area or somewhere else on the body.
- The hard and painful lumps which appear may develop and enlarge under the skin for years.
- Oozing and leaking boils or lumps heals very slowly and can lead to scarring.
- These lumps or abscess may spread to the waistband, nape of the neck and inner thighs too.
What are the Various Stages of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
It has three stages
- Localized or single abscesses along with itching and discomfort.
- Recurrent abscesses appearing in different areas of the body.
- A severe widespread outbreak of the disease which can even obstruct lymph drainage, restrict movement leading to social isolation.
What are the Causes of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
The exact cause of Hidradenitis suppurativa is not recognized. But there are some potential reasons which can prone a person to this disease.
- Smoking and obesity both are associated with this disease as it can make symptoms of the disease worse.
- There can be considered the role of sex hormone as this disease usually occur at puberty and is less common after menopause.
- Hidradenitis runs in family so there is a role of genetic factors.
- Environmental factors also play a role in the occurrence of this disease.
What are the Risk Factors to Develop Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
- Age plays a major role as it usually occurs in early puberty and is less common after menopause and before puberty.
- Women are more likely to develop this disease.
- Family history increases the risk to develop the disease.
- It can be associated with other conditions like arthritis, obesity, severe acne, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.
- Smoking also increases the risk to develop Hidradenitis suppurativa.
How can Hidradenitis Suppurativa Diagnose?
Diagnosing a rare disease like HS can be challenging. There is no definitive test for it yet. It can only be diagnosed by patient’s medical history, physical examination and laboratory test like swab test of the infected area.
What Complications can be of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
- The affected area can get infected.
- Boils or abscess heals very slowly which leaves scars and marks behind.
- When the abscess is in armpits or thighs it can cause soreness and restrict the movement of the part.
- Obstruction of the lymph node is very common in this disease which can cause swelling of the legs, arms or genitals.
- Due to the restriction of movements and bad odor from the boils can be the point embarrassment for the patient which can cause social isolation.
- In rare cases patient with this disease can develop squamous cell carcinoma of the affected area.
How can Hidradenitis Suppurativa be Treated?
There is no exact cure or consistent effective treatment for Hidradenitis suppurativa in modern medicine. Management includes antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines and surgery is another method.
How does Ayurveda Explain Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
According to Ayurveda, Hidradenitis suppurativa is Kapha and pitta dosha. The faulty digestive fire (Agni), i.e. Pitta impairs metabolism and vitiates the Kapha Dosha. The fat molecules are impaired and start depositing in the muscles and block the channels of the body which causes painful swollen lesions in the groin region, buttocks, thighs, and armpits usually.
How is Hidradenitis Suppurativa Treated at Planet Ayurveda?
Planet Ayurveda offers various remedies that effectively help to treat Hidradenitis suppurativa. Medicines offered by Planet Ayurveda are 100% Ayurvedic, safe, free from chemicals or any kind of preservatives, and are not tested on animals.
1. Kaishore guggul
This remedy is very effective in various diseases. Kaishore guggul is an anti-inflammatory remedy which helps to relieve pain, swelling, and redness of the affected part. In Hidradenitis suppurative along with relieving inflammation, it will also clear the accumulation and prevent further collection of pus in boils/abscesses. This medicine regulates the metabolism and eliminates the toxins. It reduces lymphatic congestion.
Dosage :- Take 2-3 capsules twice a day after meals.
2. Gandhak rasayan
It is a natural supplement that rejuvenates the body. It will help to increase immunity and prevent infection in boils that are the main concern in Hidradenitis suppurativa. This remedy has antifungal, antibacterial, antitumor, anti-inflammatory and anti-diuretic properties as well which will overall help to treat and manage the condition of Hidradenitis patient. Gandhak Rasayana is a wonderful remedy to eliminate toxins from the body.
Dosage :- Take two tablets twice a day after meals.
3. Pitta balance
As we know there is a role of imbalanced Pitta dosha in Hidradenitis suppurativa so Pitta balance capsules will balance pitta and help to treat this disease. It relieves ulcers, piles, acidity, and bleeding gums. This remedy will purify the blood and nourishes the skin. Immunity is increased by consumption of these capsules.
Dosage :- One two capsule two times a day after meals.
4. Manjishtha capsules
These capsules are known to be a vigorous blood purifier, removes toxins from the body and enhances blood circulation. Along with blood it also cleanses the lymphatic system. It also has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Healing properties of these capsules help to heal abscess in Hidradenitis suppurativa patient. Manjishtha capsules detoxify the body.
Dosage :- Take 1 to 2 capsules two times a day after meals.
5. Aller G care capsules
These capsules control acute and chronic allergies. It has anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties which help to relieve inflammation and prevent or treat infections. Aller G care capsule has very good pain relieving effects. Anti-oxidant properties of these capsules help to eliminate free radicals from the body and improve body’s strength.
Dosage :- Take 1-2 capsules once a day after meals.
Other than these remedies there is some external application which helps to relieve the symptoms of Hidradenitis suppurativa.
6. Neem Oil
Apply Neem oil. It is anti-inflammatory in nature which relieves redness, pain, and swelling of the affected part. It has analgesic properties, relieves pain associated with abscess or other skin conditions. It moisturizes and nourishes skin. Neem oil has anti-bacterial properties, fights against bacteria and bacterial infections.
7. Royal honey shower gel
Wash abscess or affected area with this shower gel. Royal Honey Shower Gel deeply cleanses the body. It maintains the pH of the skin and keeps skin hydrated. This gel moisturizes and keeps skin overall healthy.