Ayurvedic Treatment For Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias
“Every head has its own headache” A simple line defining the variety of headaches. Yes it is true, the headaches vary person to person. The reason for variation is the amount of stress an individual is going through, type of work he or she is doing, their lifestyle, sleeping patterns along with their eating habits. The most common factor for common headaches is continued work or study stress followed by skipping meals and low water intake. These factors are the most contributing reasons for many types of headaches. But there are some specific types of headaches which are concerned with the nerves like Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias. In this article we will discuss in detail about Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias (TACs) along with its management with Ayurvedic formulations.
The Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias is a group of Primary headache disorders which are generally characterised by the Unilateral head pain. It occurs in the association with the ipsilateral cranial autonomic features. The international headache society’s classification has included cluster headache, paroxysmal hemicrania and short-lasting, unilateral, neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT). These syndromes cause patients considerable disability and suffering. In addition, they don’t have any typical clinical profile and often present with recurrent attacks of headaches followed by specific attack free periods.
Causes of Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias
The causes of Trigeminal autonomic Cephalalgias include many factors but the common ones are as follows:
- Increased stress
- Consumption of non proper diet or poor diet
- Dehydration, due to low consumption of water or due to excessive intake of alcohol
- Consumption of all types of Alcohol
- Sleep cycle disturbances
- Hormonal changes (mostly in females like in mid cycle or when the cycle onsets)
- Exposure to light
- Change of weather (Like rain on a sunny day or sudden drop down of temperature)
- Pulsating lights
- It can also be the result of certain medications like histamines, nitroglycerine etc.
Symptoms & Signs of Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias
The key features of this condition includes encompass group of primary symptoms which includes
- Unilateral headaches mostly
- Along with some ipsilateral cranial Autonomic symptoms. The ipsilateral cranial autonomic symptoms include symptoms occurring on the similar side of the body. In this case the symptoms will be present at the same side with respect to headache.
- The group of ipsilateral autonomic symptoms include cluster headache on the similar side. Paroxysmal hemicrania, which is characterised by claw-like, boring pain and is restricted to one side of the face. It is also present in or around the eye and occasionally can reach to the back of the neck.
- Short lasting neuralgiform headache with conjunctival injection and tearing. Short lasting neuralgiform headache is a rare primary form of headache disorder that has infrequent attacks which lasts for seconds. The pain can be severe like a stabbing on one side of the face.
- The cluster headache in this condition can cause suicidal thoughts as the pain is extremely severe and sometimes Cluster headache is dubbed as Suicidal headache. If the cluster pain is episodic form then it makes one suffer more and is the most common type of cluster headache.
Diagnosing of Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias
The diagnosis is done on the basis of number of episodes, levels of severity, duration of headache and also on the characteristic features. Usually the diagnosis depends on the clinical features and their intensity.
Treatment of Trigeminal autonomic Cephalalgias
The treatment runs in two types:
- Abortive treatment : Triptans, Lidocaine are used.
- Prophylactic treatment: Glucocorticoids, galcanezumab, lithium NSAIDs are used. In addition, indomethacin is also given.
Ayurvedic Correlation for Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias
This condition does not have any direct correlation in Ayurveda. But it can be well related with aggravated vata dosha. The reason for aggravation can be many things like faulty lifestyle and wrong diet habits along with a lot of stress and overthinking. All these factors result in hampered digestion and then the vicious cycle of vata dosha aggravation starts. The best way to take care of this condition or any other condition is to take care of your digestion. If your digestion is fine, no disease, no dosha imbalance will ever happen.
Herbal Formulations By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a renowned Ayurvedic company which deals with the manufacturing and preparation of herbal formulations. These formulations are prepared using potent herbs and their extracts which are really effective in managing many conditions including Trigeminal autonomic Cephalalgias. The formulations or products prepared by Planet Ayurveda do not contain any kind of adulterants, dyes, additives, fillers etc. These medications are really potent in supporting the recovery of the body from this condition and hence giving positive noticeable results. The medication or formulations offered by Planet Ayurveda for the management of Trigeminal autonomic Cephalalgias are as follows:
- Neuro Plan Syrup
- Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
1. Neuro Plan Syrup
Neuro plan is prepared using brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculatus), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Bhojpatra (Betula utilis), Madhuyashti (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Maricha (Piper nigrum) and pippali (Piper longum). It helps in relieving any type of discomfort or negative thoughts going on inside your mind. It relaxes your all over central nervous system and has its impact even on neurons. It also enhances and strengthens intellect as well as memory. The formulation has great results in calming down the entire neural system and reduces symptoms. This formulation is a kind of boon for the whole nervous system and for brain health too.
Dosage: Two tsp twice a day after meals.
2. Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
Vrihat vatchintamani ras is a formulation which is prepared with Swarna Bhasma (calx of gold), Rajata Bhasma (calx of silver), Abhraka Bhasma (calx of mica), Loha Bhasma (calx of iron), Pravala Bhasma (calx of coral), Mukta Bhasma (calx of pearl) and Suta Bhasma (calx of a compound of purified mercury and sulphur). Vatchintamani ras helps in improving neuron to neuron communication. It also has a great role in pacification of aggravated vata dosha in this case. Moreover, the formulation is really best for managing pain which is the result of aggravated vata dosha. Mainly the vata is responsible for conditions like Trigeminal autonomic Cephalalgias and the anulomana or pacification of vata dosha is the best treatment.
Dosage: One tablet twice daily after meals with Lukewarm ghee.
Boswelli acurcumin is a combination which is prepared using two potent herbs that are shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and curcumin (Curcuma longa). The capsules are prepared using standardised extract of both herbs. These two herbs work best as an agent to reduce the inflammation and also have their effect on pain. As the inflammation subsides the pain sensation reduces. The inflammation is generally along the trigeminal nerve or of the trigeminal nerve. In addition, it also relieves the symptoms related to digestion. The presence of curcumin makes it a very good formulation for anulomana of vata dosha at koshta level and all over formulation has great effect on pacifying vata dosha as a whole too.
Dosage: Two capsules twice daily with meals.
The conditions like Trigeminal autonomic Cephalalgias, can make one’s life very devastated. Recurrent pain and that too throbbing and with a lot of negative thoughts has the capacity to shatter a very strong will power. But with Ayurvedic herbs it can be carefully tackled and can be managed. The herbs mentioned above or the formulations above are really effective and give really impressive results in such conditions. The products are totally herbal and do not have any kind of adulterants in them. They can surprise you with their effects and make you free from suffering and pain. In case of any query kindly visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com. For more queries, you can send your queries to our email id email@example.com.