WHY IS VITAMIN C NECESSARY FOR HUMANS?
Vitamin C is one of the most important nutrients for the human body as it plays a vital role in formation and maintenance of the skin, bones and blood vessels. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant which prevents the body from damage of the free radicals. This amazing nutrient is found naturally in certain fruits and vegetables however nowadays various supplements for vitamin c are also available in the market. In this article we have discussed the major roles of vitamin c, results of its deficiency and its management through natural sources and few herbal supplements offered by Planet Ayurveda.
There are some essential nutrients and some non essential. Vitamin C falls in the category of the essential nutrients which means the human body cannot produce it and you need to take it from food sources. Fruits like strawberries, oranges, kiwi and vegetables like broccoli, bell peppers, spinach and kale contain this vitamin in abundance. Medically recommended amount of vitamin C for a male is 90 mg and for a female is 75 mg.
Let’s learn about the reasons which make vitamin C a vital nutrient that we need to take.
- Vitamin C is a natural and potent antioxidant which strengthens the immune system of the body. Being antioxidant it safeguards the body against damage caused by free radicals. Sticking up of free radicals at certain points in the body causes oxidative stress in the body which is the cause of many chronic diseases. Hence eventually vitamin C prevents or reduces the risk of several chronic diseases.
- Certain studies have concluded that vitamin c helps in relaxing the blood vessels and normalizes the blood pressure. It helps to manage the high blood pressure which is the cause for various cardiovascular diseases.
- Vitamin C helps in maintaining the cardiovascular health as it possesses various cardioprotective properties like antioxidant, helps in relaxing and widening the blood vessels, reduction in formation and deposition of plaque in case of atherosclerosis and also improves the production of nitric oxide. All these factors help in preventing high blood pressure and heart diseases.
- Vitamin C helps in the treatment or prevention of iron deficiency anemia. This amazing vitamin enhances the absorption of the iron in the body. Vitamin c also plays a role to convert the poor absorbing plant-based source of iron into that which can be absorbed easily.
- Vitamin C plays a very important role in boosting the immunity as it works amazingly to control various actions in the immune system. It enhances the white blood cells production and further protects these cells from the damage caused by free radicals and other harmful molecules.
- It helps in production of collagen in the body and is also present in muscles, skin and other body tissues. Low vitamin c results in delayed or slow healing of wounds due to decreased production of collagen.
- Risk of eye diseases like cataract and age related macular degeneration can be lowered or prevented by taking a good amount of vitamin C in your diet or if there is deficiency one should opt for organic supplements.
signs and symptoms
There are certain signs and symptoms which appear if you are deficient of vitamin C or Scurvy (condition resulting from vitamin C deficiency).
Some of the major ones are
- Low level of vitamin c results in bumpy and rough skin as there occurs building up of keratin protein within the pores also due to decreased production of collagen which is a protein found in skin, joints, hair, blood vessels and bones.
- Due to deficiency of vitamin C there can occur improper growth of hair into coiled or bent shapes. This usually occurs due to protein defects which create an abnormal structure of the hair resulting in corkscrew-shaped hair. It is also a characteristic sign of vitamin C deficiency.
- One more characteristic of vitamin C deficiency is spoon shaped nails which break easily due to increased thinning and brittleness.
- Due to poor production of collagen there occurs easy bruising as a result of weak blood vessels.
- Wound healing is very slow in vitamin deficient people due to low collagen production. This is usually seen in the form of non healing chronic leg ulcers.
- Joints are swollen and painful causing difficulty in walking or limping due to low collagen in connective tissues of the bones.
- Bones are weak and there can occur slow growth and development of bones in children. Low vitamin C can result in increased bone loss rate.
- Vitamin C is very important for healthy gums and teeth and its deficiency leads to swollen, red and bleeding gums. As gums require a good amount of vitamin c, hence its shortage makes them weak and inflamed along with the weak blood vessels leading to easy bleeding from gums.
- As vitamin C plays a big role in immunity, hence low amounts of this vitamin result in decreased immunity and risk of various serious diseases is raised.
- Iron deficiency anemia is caused as low vitamin c results in decreased absorption of iron in the body. This eventually leads to iron deficiency anemia, causing complaints like fatigue, paleness, difficulty in breathing while physical activity, dryness of hair and skin.
There are various natural sources of vitamin c through which you can gain a good amount of vitamin c. Foods which are rich in this vital nutrient are citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, Indian gooseberry, other sources like peppers, Brussels sprouts, strawberries, potatoes, guava, blackcurrants, thyme, parsley, mustard spinach, kale, kiwi, lychees, tomatoes, winter squash, cabbage, spinach, turnip green and papaya.
In the case of severe forms of vitamin c deficiency, only food sources are not enough to combat the ailment and some supplement is also required. There are various vitamin c supplements present in the market but not all of them are right to be used and can result in various health ailments if the wrong one is taken. Hence you must choose the correct vitamin C supplement.
There is an amazing vitamin c supplement offered by Planet Ayurveda- a renowned herbal pharmaceutical company. All the products produced here are purely organic, herbal and vegetarian which ensures its safety and effectiveness. Several quality check procedures are carried out to check each and every ingredient’s authenticity. Planet Ayurveda offers “Amalaki rasayana” to combat Vitamin C deficiency.
Amalaki rasayan is formulated from standardized extract of the amla (Emblica officinalis) which is the richest source of vitamin C in nature. These herbal capsules help in fulfilling the deficiency of vitamin naturally without causing any harm to the body even if taken for a long term as it does not contain any type of chemicals, additives, preservatives, dye, colors, fillers, binder or yeast.
Dosage– Take 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Vitamin C is a very important nutrient for the body as it is involved in various vital phenomena of the human body. Its deficiency can result in various complaints and serious complications. Hence keep your vitamin c levels in check.