Myositis is a group of rare conditions which is an autoimmune disease which affects the muscles and causes weakness and painful muscles. Autoimmune disease is a condition which causes an abnormal response of the immune system which further responds to the functions of other parts. The immune system is made up of various organs and cells which helps to protect the body but in autoimmune disease, the immune cells get attacked instead of attacking. There are over 100 autoimmune diseases which affect the nearby organs of the body. It is more common in women than men. The human immune system produces T cells and B cells which become active within the immune system of the body. When this mechanism fails, self-reactive cells become functional in the immune system and prevent the self-reactive T cells and the negative process starts in the thymus and develops mature immune cells. In autoimmune the cells are damaged from its path. Recently South Indian actress Samantha Ruth Prabhu was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease known as Myositis. In this article, we are going to discuss the causes, symptoms and ayurvedic aspects of this disease in detail further in the article.
Myositis is chronic and progressive inflammation in the muscles which is a rare disease which is commonly associated with the rashes present on the skin. It is a type of myopathy which is a disease which affects the muscles which connect to the skeletal system. It is an autoimmune disorder usually in the muscles which is close to the trunk of the body which is associated with rashes on the skin and weakness in the body. Myositis affects both children and adults of any age group. But women are more prone than men to get this disease, with the main symptoms of painful and aching muscles which usually gets worsen over time. The main muscles which are usually involved are mainly around the shoulder, hips and thighs. Sometimes it affects the muscles which carry the tasks such as breathing and swallowing and makes muscles excessively weak and painful.
- It is estimated that approximately 7000 people suffer from this disease and above 20,000 in America suffer and live with myositis.
- Polymyositis and dermatomyositis affect women 2 times more than men.
- The peak incidence of this idiopathic inflammatory disease is between the ages of 45 and 65.
- It also affects childbearing women, but in the general population, cases of myositis are rare.
- Africans and Americans are more prone to myositis.
- It can be a life-threatening disease when it particularly affects the lungs and heart.
TYPES OF MYOSITIS
There are 5 types of myositis
- Inclusion body myositis
- Juvenile myositis
- Toxic myositis
It is the easy form of myositis which is usually diagnosed with purple-red colour rashes in the shape of a flower. The rashes usually appear on the eyelids, chest, neck and on joints. Muscle weakness is commonly seen.
The common symptoms include
- Dry, scaly type of skin
- Weakness in the neck and hip region
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Irregular beating of the heart
- Loss of weight
2. Inclusion body myositis
It is more commonly seen in men than women and develops in patients over the age of 50 years. It begins with the weakness of muscles which is seen in the wrists and fingers and in the muscles of the thighs. It is usually genetic and occurs slowly over 10-15 years. The only difference between other myositis is there is a build-up of the proteins and tiny clumps of protein are seen.
Common symptoms include
- Walking difficulty
- Loss of balance
1. Juvenile Myositis
Commonly seen in the age group of 18 years and girls are likely to develop this myositis. There are rashes on the skin and weakness in the muscles.
The common symptoms are-
- Lumps of calcium in the skin
- Changes in sound
- Bumps which are seen on the elbow, knees
- Difficult in combing hair
It also begins with weakness of muscles which is close to the trunk region of the body. Develops over time and affects adults, affects girls of the age group 30 years of age.
The symptoms which include are
- Muscle weakness
- Chronic dry cough
- Weight loss
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Difficulty in breathing
5. Toxic Myositis
It is usually caused due to drugs or certain medications which help to lower the cholesterol level. Sometimes it includes medication which causes myositis such as cocaine, Humira and many more.
It is an idiopathic disorder which is caused by
- Injury- it is caused due to hard exercise which causes injury to the muscles which is known as Rhabdomyolysis which is related to myositis, in this condition, there is an easy breakdown of the muscles.
- Medicine- Statins usually cause myositis, and the most common side effects of statins are a pain in muscles.
- Infections- The most common viral infection like a cold, which is the rare cause of myositis.
- Autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma.
- Toxicity of drugs
- Muscle weakness
- Swallowing problems
- Tender muscles which are felt on touch
- Night sweats
- Loss of weight
- Puffiness around the eyes
- Red and pinkish colour rashes on eyelids, face and neck.
- Interstitial lung disease which leads to shortness of breath
- Thickening of hands and on the sides of fingers (mechanic hand)
- There is a decreased blood flow which changes the color of skin to blue and white.
- Inflammation causes redness and pain on the nail bed.
Medical conditions which are seen in myositis
- Hormonal changes
- Low levels of vitamin D
- Abnormal levels of magnesium and calcium
- Blood tests
- MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging)
- EMG (Electromyography)
- Biopsy of muscle and skin
- Blood tests to find the level of CPK (creatinine phosphokinase), Myoglobin, aldolase and lactate dehydrogenase.
- Genetic tests
- ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)
- CRP (C-reactive protein)
- Physiotherapy and exercise which plays an important role in all types of myositis help in reducing the swelling and help in restoring the strength of muscles.
- Steroids quickly reduce swelling and help in controlling muscle pain.
- Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs help in reducing the swelling and suppressing the immune system.
- Biologic therapy
- Intravenous immunoglobulin
In ayurveda, myositis is co-related with Manas dhatu dushti which is due to aggravation of the tridoshas which leads to sroto dushti which further leads to depletion of mans dhatu (connective tissues which are related to muscles) of the body with symptoms of soth (inflammation), Ruja (pain) and durbalya (chronic fatigue-ness).
- Dosha- Vata Kapha pradhan vyadhi
- Dushya- Ras, Rakta, Mamsa, Asthi and Majja.
- Srotas- Rasavaha, Raktavaha, Mamsavaha and Asthivaha, Majjavaha.
- Sroto Dushti- Majja Vaha
- Ama- Sama avastha
- Udhbhava sthana- Pakwashya
- Vyakta sthana- Adho shareer
- The main treatment of mamsavrita Vata are-
- Niruha basti
- Shamana aushadhi
- In panchkarma this disease can be treated well as it helps to eliminate the toxic elements of the body and helps to enhance the body. The various panchkarma procedures such as-
- Patrapottli sweda
- Maash pinda sweda
- Baladi yapana basti
HERBS USEFUL FOR MYOSITIS
- HARIDRA- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a famous ayurvedic herb which is very helpful in patients with diabetes. Haridra helps to balance tridoshas of the body and has ushna veerya. Helps to improve the tone of the skin and is used in many skin disorders, bleeding disorders and in inflammation, which helps in healing wounds. Known for its blood purification property and helps to remove toxins and rejuvenate the skin.
- GUGGUL- Guggul (Commiphora mukul) is an oleo-resin herb which is used in decreasing the level of cholesterol and is helpful in relieving the inflammation of joints. Helps in healing of fractures and in the muscle-skeletal system. Has rejuvenative properties and anti-ageing properties, has anti-inflammatory properties.
- ASHWAGANDHA- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a patent ayurvedic herb which is useful in the healing system and strengthens immunity and balances the tridoshas of the body. Provides anti-ageing properties and enhances spermatogenesis. Helpful in inflammation and has anti-oxidant properties and useful in sexual disorders and soothes the nervous system.
- KALONJI- Kalonji (Nigella sativa) is an ayurvedic herb which is known as black cumin. Has bronchodilator properties, is helpful in increasing the appetite and is useful in painful menstruation. Kalonji is helpful in reducing inflammation and swelling, so useful in arthritis and reduces pain and pus. Effective herb in treating both patients who are suffering from hypertension and hyperglycemia.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR MYOSITIS
Planet Ayurveda is an eminent GMP-certified, ISO 9001:2015 certified and US- FDA registered ayurvedic company, which adheres to the objective of manufacturing quality Ayurvedic products as mentioned in a number of ancient texts of Ayurveda. Formulations which are manufactured are without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals which cause side effects to the human body. Products manufactured at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any adulterations. These products are pure, organic and gluten-free. For myositis Planet Ayurveda provides herbal supplements which are helpful in this disease.
- RUMOGIN 5
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- MUSLI STRENGTH
- YOGRAJ GUGGUL
- AAMVATANTAK CHURNA
1. RumoGin 5 Capsules
RumoGin 5 Capsules are polyherbal capsules which are prepared by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Haridra (Curcuma longa), Pippali (Piper longum), Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and many more. These capsules are helpful in the treatment of indigestion and useful in arthritis and asthma. It improves digestion and relieves pain and inflammation so useful in myositis.
Dosage– 1 capsule twice daily.
2. Boswellia Curcumi
Boswellia Curcumin is a polyherbal capsule formulation which is made by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Curcumin (Curcuma longa). These capsules are helpful in osteoarthritis and help to relieve joint swelling and morning stiffness. Has anti-inflammatory properties and is helpful in killing brain tumour cells and reducing the oedema of the brain.
Dosage– 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
3. Musli Strength
Musli strength is polyherbal capsules which are made by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum) and Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris). Musli has antioxidant properties and anti-stress activity. Helps to lower the level of sugar and blood glucose activity. Has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties. Eliminate the toxins from the body and reduce the free radicals so they have anti-cancer properties.
Dosage- 1 capsule twice daily.
4. Yograj Guggul
Yograj Guggul is a herbal tablet formulation by planet ayurveda using Guggul (Commiphora Mukul), Bahera (Terminalia bellirica), Long Pepper (Piper longum), Piper (Piper cubeba) and many more. This tablet is helpful in arthritis and in many neurological conditions and balances the Vata doshas in the body. Helps to reduce pain and swelling which promotes the strength of joints and bones.
Dosage– 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
5. Aamvatantak Churna
Aamvatantak Churna is a polyherbal churna formulation which is made by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Suranjaan (Colchicum autumnale) and many more. This churna is helpful in autoimmune disorders and has anti-inflammatory properties which provide nourishment to joints and various body parts.
Dosage– ½ to 1 teaspoon twice daily with plain water after meals.
Myositis is a group of rare conditions which is an autoimmune disease which affects the muscles and causes weakness and painful muscles. Autoimmune disease is a condition which causes an abnormal response of the immune system which further responds to the functions of other parts. Myositis is chronic and progressive inflammation in the muscles which is a rare disease which is commonly associated with the rashes present on the skin. It is a type of myopathy which is a disease which affects the muscles which connect to the skeletal system. In ayurveda, myositis is co-related with Manas dhatu dushti which is due to aggravation of the tridoshas. Further, we discussed herbal supplements by planet ayurveda which are prepared from pure herbs and are useful in this disease.