Included in the group of Seronegative spondylo arthropathies, ankylosing spondylitis affects your spine with intense pain and stiffness from neck to lower back. Fusing together of the vertebra (spine) making your spine rigid is the typical feature. This changes can vary from mild to severe forms and it can even get worse forming a stooped over posture.
Even though the incidence is common for all age groups, it is more prevalent in male gender among their teens and 20s.
Causes of ankylosing spondylitis are still unknown, but it has strong connections with the genetic factor (HLA-B27 gene).
Major Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Pain and stiffness – It mainly affects your lower back, buttocks, and hips. You have to doubt for spondylitis, if you have pain for longer than 3 months. It often starts in the sacroiliac joints.
- Bony fusion – Affect a person by hindering them to perform daily activities. Fusion of the ribs to the spine or sternum, limits the expansion of the chest when taking a deep breath.
- Pain in ligaments and tendons – Mainly in Achilles tendon
- As ankylosing spondylitis is a systemic disease, you can also have fever, fatigue, and loss of appetite
- Eye inflammation with redness and pain
- Lung, and heart problems – Rare cases
Diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Physical examination
- X-rays of back and pelvis
- Measurements of the chest when breathing
- Lab tests
Herbal Remedies for Seronegative Spondyloarthropathy
When other systems of medicines still search in darkness for an effective treatment of ankylosing spondylitis, Ayurveda is blessed with a lot of potent herbs which can manage ankylosing spondylitis. Along with proper medication, physical and occupational therapy should also be maintained to have proper functioning and to minimize deformity. In very severe cases, surgery may be the last resort.
Planet Ayurveda offers eminent formulations in a complete care pack, ‘joint support pack’. All the medicines in this pack are guaranteed to be purely herbal and with no side effects, as they are formulated with no added preservatives or chemicals. Drug interactions are also least noted. This pack is efficient enough to tackle with every joint issue.
- Bone support capsules
- Curcumin capsules
- Joint aid plus capsules
- Coral calcium complex capsules
1. Bone Support
- Boswellia serrata (asthishringala),
- Laccifera lacca (laksha),
- Moringa (morianga oleifera)
- Arjuna (terminalia arjuna),
- Pravala pishti (incinerated form of purified coral)
Boswellia is an excellent choice of remedy for joint disorders. It is a natural pain killer and fastens the reunion of bones. It helps to inhibit the bone mineral density loss and cartilage loss. Laksha is mainly used to increase the bone density and joint disorders.
Dosage – 2 capsules twice a day with lukewarm water after meals
2. Curcumin Capsules
Curcumin, which is extracted from turmeric is a potent anti inflammatory drug. They help to boost the immune system and also to modulate. They are mainly indicated to enhance the blood circulation in the body. Curcumin is a potent antioxidant. Curcumin is very popular for its antibacterial action. It helps to relieve the pain and inflammation.
Dosage – 1 capsule twice daily with lukewarm water after meals
3. Joint Aid Plus
It contains the extract of
- Nirgundi (vitex negundo),
- Guggulu (commiphora mukul),
- Shallaki (boswellia serrata),
- Ginger, (zingiber officinale)
- Guduci (tinosporia cordifolia),
- Ashwagandha (withania somnifera).
Being the natural diet for bones and joint, it is a great aid for joint disorders. It relieves pain and inflammation to a great extent.
Dosage – 1 capsule two times a day with lukewarm water after meals.
4. Coral Calcium Complex
Coral calcium complex – Coral calcium complex – This is an excellent combination of drugs, which supplements calcium in the body to strengthen the bones. Bone infections are best treated by this complex. This complex includes coral, agate, jawar mohra pishti, Kamdudha ras, Mukta pishti and guduci (tinospora cordifolia).
Dosage – 1 to 2 capsules twice a day after meals with lukewarm water
Diet & regimen in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Choose the foods which help to fight against inflammation and keep your bones strong. Maintaining a healthy weight is very crucial in this point, as an extra pound can strain your joints.
- Include more colorful fruits and vegetables, which are high in antioxidants. Antioxidants help to relieve arthritis symptoms.
- Whole grains like brown rice should be added more. Whole grains protect your heart, as in later stages of spondyloarthropathy heart health can be affected.
- Always stay hydrated. But avoid alcoholic beverages as it may weaken your bones.
- Avoid high fat and high cholesterol foods
- Avoid tobacco smoking or chewing to prevent the aggravation of the disease.
- Include calcium and vitamin D supplements in your diet
- Practice some yoga postures to relieve from the symptoms. You can include
- Child’s pose
- Bridge pose
- Downward facing dog
- Cobra pose
- Locust pose
- Mountain pose
- Cat pose
- Cow pose
- Staff pose
- Some most effective ankylosing spondylitis exercises include Standing posture, Lying posture, Swimming, Deep breathing, Yoga, Walking posture, Sitting posture, Sleeping posture etc. regular exercise relieves pain and inflammation and enhances your flexibility. Proper posture of the body helps to reduce the sprain on the spine
- Consult your physician before starting to exercise and yoga. He will help you to get the apt posture for you. If you follow the treatment plan properly and stay active, it prevents disease becoming worse.