10 Wonderful Health Benefits of Ayurvedic Herbs for Healthy Lifestyle
Ayurveda is one of the most ancient and comprehensive system of health care known to humanity for thousands of years. It is truly a science of life which tells us how to improve the quality of life by the use of various herbs gifted to us by nature.
Each and every herb in Ayurvedic pharmacgnosy has a multitude of benefits – for the mind, body, and spirit.
Various herbs have been used since ages for the utility of mankind. Some of the herbs are:
1.Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):
- Ashwagandha is known for having the “strength of ten horses”. It is referred to as Indian ginseng.
10 Health Benefits of Ashwagandha:
- Ashwagandha acts as an adaptogen which helps the body to cope with external changes in the environment. This herb is highly useful in reducing stress, anxiety and depression.
- It also supports healthy adrenal function by reducing stress and fatigue.
- In Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is referred to as Balya, which means giving strength in the conditions such as general debility. It is known to improve energy, increasing stamina and endurance.
- Ashwagandha is a promising herb in providing relief in degenerative disorders such as it promotes the growth of nerve cells and protect the brain cells from the harmful effects of environment.
- It also acts on the endocrine system and encourages hormonal balance in the body.
- The rejuvenating properties of Ashwagandha make it very effective in treating insomnia as it calms the nervous system, eases stress and helps the person to get rid of sleeplessness.
- It acts as a nervine tonic. Hence, this herb is useful in relieving numbness.
- It improves muscle strength and has quite nutritive value and hence useful in gaining weight.
- It improves strength of heart muscles and therefore acts as a good heart tonic. Therefore, it is useful in lowering the high blood pressure. Regular use of Ashwagandha herb increases immunity as well. It is a good tonic for children for improving immunity.
- It enhances blood circulation as well and therefore improves cardio-vascular health.
2.Amla (Emblica officinalis or Phyllanthusemblica)
- Amla has been used in Ayurvedic system of medicine for thousands of years. It is one of the three fruits that are contained in Triphala and the main ingredient of herbal jam Chywanprash. It is the richest source of Vitamin C.
10 Health Benefits of Amla
- Amla promotes detoxification of the body due to its anti-oxidant properties. Amla supports healthy circulation and digestion. It eliminates toxins as well. Amla is considered as a highly revered rasayana in Ayurvedic system of medicine. It promotes youthfulness, boosts immunity and promotes overall health and well-being.
- It is beneficial in patients with urinary ailments such as dysuria.
- Regular intake of Amla also relieves constipation.
- It is also useful in promoting intelligence and therefore widely used in Rasayan Chikitsa in Ayurveda.
- It has benefits in skin diseases such as: itching sensation, fever, uncontrolled thirst, burning sensation, obstinate skin diseases etc.
- Amla shows wonderful effects in eye disorders by improving vision power and good for hair as well.
- Being rich in nutrients and anti-oxidants, amla is also beneficial in weight loss.
- It improves immunity of the body as it easily gets converted into ojas, thus infuse qualities of ojas into the body. Ojas is regarded as the pure product of digestion and metabolism.
- Amla berry purifies the Rasa dhatu (nutrient fluid) and Rakta dhatu (blood), thus supports healthy functioning of liver. It stimulates the liver by eliminating toxins. It also helps in lowering the cholesterol levels.
- Amla is also known to lower cholesterol levels in the body.
3.Turmeric (Curcuma longa):
- The benefits of Turmeric are known to Indians for thousands of years. It is native to India. It has immense health benefits due to presence of phyto-ingredient curcumin.
10 Health Benefits of Turmeric:
- Turmeric is traditionally used to support the body’s innate inflammatory response as it is anti-inflammtory properties. Curcumin is also very effective in joint pain and supports a healthy inflammatory response.
- Turmeric also helps in regulating the female reproductive system by purifying the uterus and breast milk and in men, it purifies and builds semen due to its pungent and bitter properties.
- For curing diabetes, there is nothing in comparison to turmeric. It is considered as a drug of choice for tackling diabetes and urinary tract disorders associated with diabetes.
- Due to its sour and bitter taste and hot potency, it removes blockage in the blood vessels thus makes the circulation of blood and nutrients easy.
- Turmeric has the ability to regulate metabolic fire due to its hot potency, it cleanses and detoxifies the digestive juices due to its bitter and sour taste thus enables free circulation of nutrients to each and every cell of the body.
- It helps in immune-modulation by correcting metabolism and enables the free circulation of nutrients and oxygen to the body. Therefore, the essence of all the tissues i.e. ojas regains its strength due to proper nutrition and thus immunity is established.
- Due to its hot potency and sour-bitter taste, it removes blockages in the liver thus restores the hematopoietic functions. Thus, anaemia is relieved by improvising the quality and quantity of blood.
- Regular use of turmeric in diet is helpful in improving eye health and also relieves allergic disorders related to eyes.
- Turmeric is also used in the treatment of cancer because of the presence of phyto-chemical known as curcumin.
4.Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia):
- In Ayurveda, Giloy is known as ‘Amrita’ which means ‘the root of mortality’ because of its medicinal properties.
10 Health Benefits of Giloy :
- Giloy is well known for increasing immunity. It is considered as a powerhouse of anti-oxidants which fight free radicals and help in keeping the cells healthy. It removes toxins, purifies blood and fights bacteria and combats diseases of liver and urinary tract.
- It is very beneficial in getting rid of recurrent fevers because of its anti-pyretic nature. Therefore, it reduces the signs and symptoms of dengue, swine flu as well.
- Giloy has hypoglycemic properties as well and therefore it helps in treating diabetes as well. It works wonder in reducing blood sugar levels.
- Giloy is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties and helps in respiratory health problems such as: cold, cough, bronchitis etc.
- It also reduces asthmatic symptoms such as: chest tightness, shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing so giloy is recommended to asthmatic patients.
- Because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties, it helps to treat arthritis.
- Giloy can be used as an adaptogenic herb as well as it reduces mental stress as well as anxiety.
- Giloy is very useful in improving digestion and treating bowel diseases as well.
- Giloy also contains anti-aging properties that help in reducing dark spots, fine lines, pimples and wrinkles.
- Giloy is also used in vision problems as it is helpful in boosting vision clarity